• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bug guts removal

bullet

aka Johnny Hammerlane
So I’m in the garage doing a thorough cleaning on my RT and there is some pretty well dried bug guts on the wheel rims, mostly the front, and the forks. Anybody know of an effective way to clean these parts? WD40 and elbow grease have a limited effect. There may be some postings on this subject but a search didn’t find anything. Thanks for any replies.

Good ole water and patience as it soaks and softens the bug guts. Also, hydrogen peroxide works well on anything organic, but again patience is the key rather than elbow grease.

I couldn’t wait until tomorrow to go looking for hydrogen peroxide so, 3 beers into the job, I thought I’d try some hand cleaner. The kind that has degreasers and fine pumice. Took a wrung-out rag, gave it a few squirts of the hand cleaner and spent about an hour on the wheel and spokes. Some fidgety work around the spokes for sure but it worked like a charm.

Wet towel and long soak first helps.

+1 on that. The hot towel works great on the windscreen too. Grab a towel from the hotel room, soak it in hot water and drape it over the screen. 2 minutes later, wipe off bugs and dry with another borrowed towel. Clean and done.
Make sure you return the towel to the room. Don't steal them.

+1 on that. The hot towel works great on the windscreen too. Grab a towel from the hotel room, soak it in hot water and drape it over the screen. 2 minutes later, wipe off bugs and dry with another borrowed towel. Clean and done.
Make sure you return the towel to the room. Don't steal them.

Even better, ask the hotel if they have some old sacrificial towels. They get peeved when their good towels are permanently stained, and rightly so!

One of the best overall cleaners I have found is Scrubs In A Bucket-

product_image_11.jpg

From the dirt or grease on hands to grease on a rug to black-streaks on the Motorhome- they work great. I keep them in a Zip-Loc bag on the bike and a full tub in each vehicle.
They do dry out but a little refreshing with water and they are good to go.
There are other brands, I have found these to be the best.
http://itwprofessionalbrands.com/1177/scrubs/hand-cleaners/scrubs-hand-cleaner-towels

OM

One of the best overall cleaners I have found is Scrubs In A Bucket-

product_image_11.jpg

From the dirt or grease on hands to grease on a rug to black-streaks on the Motorhome- they work great. I keep them in a Zip-Loc bag on the bike and a full tub in each vehicle.
They do dry out but a little refreshing with water and they are good to go.
There are other brands, I have found these to be the best.
http://itwprofessionalbrands.com/1177/scrubs/hand-cleaners/scrubs-hand-cleaner-towels

OM

I’ll look for these next time I go shopping. Thanks for the tip.

I rely on soaking with ample water and time, maybe some auto washing soap intended for paint. I've used many hand cleaners with pumice, and Scrubs-in-a-bucket, but i'd hesitate to use either on plastics or paint for fear of scratching. The Scrubs do have one soft side so that might work if used with care.

Why not share some of the beer suds with the bug guts? Anything that will hydrate those guts will soften them up enough to enable a wipe off.

Seems like a waste of perfectly good beer. I have a much better use for it: catching a buzz!

Seems like a waste of perfectly good beer. I have a much better use for it: catching a buzz!

for me individually...after a few beers, I probably waste more beer slopping it around my mug walking around than I would cleaning the shield...... :brad besides, its usually fairly cheap, and available.....

Back