• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Timing Chain Replacement

gundog94

Hey All,
I have 52,000 miles on my 2010 R1200RT. The last time I was at the dealer they said the bike was due for a timing chain replacement. I have looked on the web for a maintenance schedule to no avail. Can anyone confirm this or have any insight into if it is necessary or not? Thanks.

There is no scheduled maintenance or replacement for any of the chains in the engine.

There is one timing chain at the front of the engine that should be good for the life of the bike.

Each cylinder also has a chain to drive its cam that seldom wears out, but occasionally one of the chain tensioners will weaken and need replacement. Usually, this will be apparent due to increased noise from the loose (not worn out) chain.

I'd ask the dealer to show me why the proposed work is necessary, or get a second opinion.

I tend to be skeptical when mechanics (and doctors and dentists) find "problems" I was unaware of, especially in seasons with little work.

It would be interesting to know which dealership this was, if they cannot produce a valid reason for it...

There is one timing chain at the front of the engine that should be good for the life of the bike.

Does it have a plastic guide.
The K1200RS had a plastic guide on the cam chain and BMW recommended changing it every 36,000 miles.
Most people ignored this as the guide rarely showed any wear.

Does it have a plastic guide.
The K1200RS had a plastic guide on the cam chain and BMW recommended changing it every 36,000 miles.
Most people ignored this as the guide rarely showed any wear.

Well, my original K75 had a plastic cam chain guide. The original was still in the bike and barely worn at 370,000 miles. That is a clean, sealed, very oily spot. Wear is usually minimal.

140 K on my 09...never think twice about it nor seen any chatter about wearing them out:scratch

I think someone is yanking your chain...:jester
In all seriousness, chains rarely if ever wear out so I'd look elsewhere for another opinion....

Back