• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Camhead Oil Filter

T...One other thing I do is change my filter at 3 to 4 thou miles. Its great that the syns don't break down nearly as fast as Dino oils but I find it hard to believe the filters can keep cleaning the oil for that long.

The oil filter will last a couple of oil changes on a healthy engine, not half of one. I routinely cut oil filters open with one of these to look for trouble and check the sediment level. At 10K miles of use, the filters have always had plenty of life left. Changing at every oil change is much more than adequate. Fact is, a dirty filter cleans even better than a fresh one. A filter with a bit of coating has smaller pore size, plus it cleans by both agglomeration and filtration.

Orange can fram filters are not something I would use. Their Ultra filter with wire backed media is a very well made filter and I use them my car and truck.

But not on the R1200 with the tiny filter. Our boxers use thick 20W50. I like many do not warm up, most wear occurs with a cold engine when oil additives are below the activation temperature. So I ride off and keep the RPM below 4K until the oil is warm.

With the thick oil there is a higher pressure drop across the filter. There is a bypass to prevent excess pressure drop from rupturing the the filter media. The bypass is normally set higher for thicker oils. a passenger car filter for 5W30 oil is going to have a lower pressure bypass. In bypass, if there is anything in the oil it might escape being filtered. The boxers typically stay very clean inside so the risk is low. Not zero.

So I use the OE filter. R1150 with the bigger filter, I use car filters when I need a change and do not have time to visit the dealer.

The waterboxer has an even smaller filter. So even more important to have right bypass.

This is my view, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Rod

A biker friend of mine has three Beemers. He does all of the mechanical work and maintenance on his machines. One of his bikes is an R1200RT. He told me he uses a 2004 Dodge Neon non-turbo charged oil filter on his.

He couldn't find a Yugo filter that would work?

Back