• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding from Chicago to Portland

berth

Hi all. I'm a new member looking for advice.

I'm planning a cross country trip for August from Chicago to Portland and back. Never been out there.

I hear the Lewis and Clark trial is pretty awesome but thought I'd ask for input from many on the forum who may have already traveled that way.

I plan to take a month. Leave around August 1. No schedule or deadlines. Prefer to avoid crowds and main interstates.

Looking for suggestions on "don't miss" roads or routes.

Thanks.

Bert H.

The West is Nice

Lots of great roads "out west". Here are some suggestions:

Idaho
Lolo Pass in Idaho would be worth your time <http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/4660-lolo-pass.html> That is US Hwy 12; however, there is a parallel dirt route, too, if you are interested. <https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5405851.pdf>

Also, in Idaho, Hwy 200 from Ravalli to Sandpoint is scenic. Ask about the Missoula floods.

Salmon, Idaho, to Stanley, to Lowman, to McCall to Halfway, OR to North Powder, OR to Ukiah, OR to Condon, OR to Fossil, OR to Clarno, OR Shaniko, OR Tygh Valley, OR

Washington
North Cascades Highway in Washington is pretty, take Hwy 20 westward from Okanogan. Of course, going out to Forks, WA is pretty country, then down the coast.

In Oregon, great roads in a lot of places: try from Canyon City, OR then go 20 miles south on US Hwy 395, catch the paved road westward to Izee, Paulina, Prinveville.

The SE Oregon desert looks more like Nevada than Nevada does--really bleak and beautiful. Summer Lake is a scenic stretch.

Don't forget that some of the mountain passes don't get cleared of snow till June (though we don't have much snow yet, this year.)

Hi all. I'm a new member looking for advice.

I'm planning a cross country trip for August from Chicago to Portland and back. Never been out there.

I hear the Lewis and Clark trial is pretty awesome but thought I'd ask for input from many on the forum who may have already traveled that way.

I plan to take a month. Leave around August 1. No schedule or deadlines. Prefer to avoid crowds and main interstates.

Looking for suggestions on "don't miss" roads or routes.

Thanks.

Bert H.
Welcome to the forum!
I have nothing to offer as far as routing. It may help you to have the MOA Anonymous Book with you and perhaps arrange a few meet-ups with other Members along the way.
With a month to ride it sounds like a great trip.
Gary

Look at Hwy 242 in Oregon, from Sisters to where it meets the McKenzie River above Eugene, OR.

242 goes over the Cascade Range near the Three Sisters (3 mountain peaks) - one road made for carving your way down the mountain!

If you are are avoiding Interstates and big cities, try US 20 from west of Chicago (Rockford is a good starting point).

To get to the 2015 rally in Billings, Montana, I rode US 20 from my daughters in Wauconda, IL to Greybull, Wyoming (then turned north). Enjoyable, good quality road. Plenty of mom and pop motels and restaurants. Easy campgrounds if that is what you are looking for.

Have ridden further west on US 20 many years ago. Other than a few interstate stretches, it will take you to just south of Portland, Oregon.

I have also taken US 2 across the top of the the USA...interesting ride. And have ridden virtually all the westbound interstates when time was an issue.

Enjoy your ride!

if you take Lolo pass ( recommended ) continue on 12 to Lewiston, take a left on 3 and head for Enterprise OR ( the rattlesnake pass ) you won't be sorry.

Back