• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blind spot warning in motorcycle mirrors

Not a blind spot mirror, but I put a flat mirror on my '78RS to give me correct distance perspective on the vehicle following me. The mirror carried a BMW part number and if I recall, was for the Australian market. I was happy with this arrangement.

You already have a wonderful blind spot warning system located not in your mirrors, but rather in front of your head, one for the left side and another for the right side. Although depending on the operator, you may need to check frequently for a blown fuse or defective wiring. :dunno

Sensors are nice, but I am not ready to entirely or blindly bet my life on them. :wave

Friedle

I find these simple $6 a pair 'HD Glass' blind spot mirrors are at least as reliable/safe as turning one's head, even if one turns very quickly. By the time you've turned your head rearward then back forward other traffic can suddenly appear, and as others mentioned you've just taken even your peripheral vision off what what you're headed towards. For several months I didn't think I should trust these mirrors so would always turn my head after checking, but I've since learned to completely trust them and find they cover the entire blind spot and much more. You see traffic in the blind spot mirror AND the stock mirror well before that traffic disappears from the main stock mirrors and remains in the blind spot mirrors until that traffic is well into your peripheral vision. They are stick-on and have a stalk they mount on so can be repositioned, and they do hold their position always.

IMG_0665_zps3gi4slnl.jpg

I have blind spot sensors on my 2010 fusion hybrid and I think it is possible to start depending on being alerted which IMHO would be the worst outcome of having this technology on a motorcycle.

I find these simple $6 a pair 'HD Glass' blind spot mirrors are at least as reliable/safe as turning one's head, even if one turns very quickly. By the time you've turned your head rearward then back forward other traffic can suddenly appear, and as others mentioned you've just taken even your peripheral vision off what what you're headed towards. For several months I didn't think I should trust these mirrors so would always turn my head after checking, but I've since learned to completely trust them and find they cover the entire blind spot and much more. You see traffic in the blind spot mirror AND the stock mirror well before that traffic disappears from the main stock mirrors and remains in the blind spot mirrors until that traffic is well into your peripheral vision. They are stick-on and have a stalk they mount on so can be repositioned, and they do hold their position always.

IMG_0665_zps3gi4slnl.jpg

I have blind spot sensors on my 2010 fusion hybrid and I think it is possible to start depending on being alerted which IMHO would be the worst outcome of having this technology on a motorcycle.

Agreed.

IMG_0665_zps3gi4slnl.jpg

Do you have a link or manufacturer/part number for these? Thanks!

When I had my Corvette Coupe a few years ago, I learned to turn the side mirrors outward to the extent that the sides of the 'Vette were not visible but the lanes on either side (and the related blind spots) were very visible. I could see a vehicle approaching my blind spot and then before the mirror image disappeared, the vehicle would appear in the window on that side. I had vision directly behind via the inside mirror.

I've done the same thing on my RT, but can't really see too well directly behind me unless I move my head a bit. No need for a complete head/shoulder turn; a quick glance shows what's coming into my "blind spot" and I'm prepared for it. It took a while to acclimate, but it's very usable now. YMMV

Dennis

My granddaughter was taking driving lessons last year and this was the technique they taught her. As a professional driver for over 40 I was very surprised by granddaughter could teach me about driving. I use this on my RT as well. No blind spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When the highest level of motorcycle safety training still requires you to do an over the shoulder look, I'm still going to do it, even if I have the mirrors on my GS adjusted to see everything to the side and all the way behind me - it's a muscle memory comfort thing.

When the highest level of motorcycle safety training still requires you to do an over the shoulder look, I'm still going to do it, even if I have the mirrors on my GS adjusted to see everything to the side and all the way behind me - it's a muscle memory comfort thing.
Almost all motorcycle mirrors are bad. If you adjust them to show a car in your lane, they STILL will not show you a car that is close in your lane, unlike an inside car review mirror. (No, I don't see a solution to this problem.) I think the best adjustment now is to adjust your factory mirrors to see the road directly behind you as best you can and then attach blind spot mirrors to parts of the factory mirrors that give you the least information - probably inside top.
If you do this, you will need to adjust those new mirrors, maybe with a friend in a car on an untraveled back road. The goals are simple - see as close as you can any vehicle following in your lane in the factory mirrors; make sure that a vehicle in an adjacent lane enters your blind spot mirrors before it leaves your factory mirrors, and that it is visible in your peripheral vision when you glance at your mirror.

Yes, this requires some work - and after doing the work, it requires trust that the quick glance at the mirrors and your peripheral vision mean YOU DO NOT AND SHOULD NOT DO A HEAD CHECK.

Again, the problem with head checks is the time they take while stuff that really needs your attention is happening in front of you. I believe what I am suggesting is a safer way to go. Doubt I will convince anyone, but thought I should write it.

I thinkt blind spot warning on a bike would be a good thing, but with some drawbacks. Would they warn constantly as one is passing cars on a multi-lane highway or are they smart enough to know overtaking from being overtaken? The concept seems like a good thing. :)

Back