• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

External oil filter

2slowwheels

I'm sure there is a thread but I couldn't find it.
Looking for information on external oil filter mods for my 77 RS and 88 RT, thanks

Just curious...what problem are you trying to solve with an external filter? I wonder about this in that you'll be adding new points of failure to a solid filtration system. Of course, it's your bike, but...

Just curious...what problem are you trying to solve with an external filter? I wonder about this in that you'll be adding new points of failure to a solid filtration system. Of course, it's your bike, but...
+1

These bikes work fine without them. Yes, I would have preferred that they'd moved to an external canister oil-filter far earlier than they did, but AFAIK, there is no way of doing this conversion and getting rid of the existing system so as Kurt said, you are simply adding an additional potential failure point for a bit of convenience.

That being said, to each their own. Enjoy the bikes, you've got two very nice models.

Ditto. This mod is one that I would never do.

I had the Spin it on Remote filter on my 81 R100RT for about a year then removed and sold it. Too many hoses to deal with which in turn created more "potential problems" Heading home from the rally in Johnson City, a hub cap flew off a car and smacked into me at 70 mph. It partially sliced into one of the hoses, luckily it didnt leak. That was when I decided to remove it once I got home. It did work fine! I now change my OEM filter every 3rd oil change. Excuse the crappy installed photo.
ASSEMBLY INSTALLED_zpsu8vidd1l.jpg
spin it on kit_zpsecgyamop.jpg

Back