• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LED headlight bulb experiences?

psikora

I had to replace the bulb on my '94 R1100RS with the spare I carry (easy single-point-of-failure part for getting home) and saw a FB post on a LED replacement bulb: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-LED-He...Beam-NIGHTEYE-2000LM-H4-9003-HB2/263279661519

Started searching, got confused, found this link: https://10carbest.com/led-headlights-bulbs

My BMW m/c mechanic friend was trying to explain to me about different patterns for right and left car headlight bulbs. I don't see any indication or reference for this in my searching out possible replacement bulbs.

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience here? It was 9 degrees the other week when I got up to go running so riding kinda slowing down for me here in NY. Not feeling in a rush to make sure I have a replacement bulb when I go out. (:cool:

TIA,
later

I installed a LED headlight bulb in my R1100 last spring but due to my body betraying me in the last year (LOL), that bike did not get ridden much since the install. In daytime riding, the light is much more visible than the PIAA. Havent ridden it at night to know how well it will illuminate the road. However on road trips I will still carry a PIAA in case a burnout happens. The LED required a lot more patience to install.

The problem with LED or HID "upgrades" is that the headlamp reflector is designed specifically for a halogen bulb (H4, H7, etc.). The light source in these LED and HID bulbs in not located in the same position, so the beam pattern may be all over the place, and you may wind up annoying oncoming drivers. It's actually against federal law for companies to sell these replacements, and those vendors could be fined up to $5,000 for each unit sold.

The problem with LED or HID "upgrades" is that the headlamp reflector is designed specifically for a halogen bulb (H4, H7, etc.). The light source in these LED and HID bulbs in not located in the same position, so the beam pattern may be all over the place, and you may wind up annoying oncoming drivers. It's actually against federal law for companies to sell these replacements, and those vendors could be fined up to $5,000 for each unit sold.

Would that be right after the fines for calling those on the Do Not Call list :scratch
OM

This one has a few more teeth to it. I know of at least one shop that's now out of business after the Feds hit them up with fines for selling these kits.

Thanks, Karl. From the advertising shots I've seen, the pattern is definitely suspect. I have nothing against a non-LED bulb. Maybe a little more searching will show up one with the "correct" pattern. I have extra riding lights, one set for daytime and one for use only with my high beam. They make the headlight bulb look like it's off a 6v bike. I think that's where my (lame) thought process started.

www.cyclopsadventuresports.com

Cyclops says that their LEDs have Emark - TUV and DOT approval and that that it is the only one available.

DOT doesn't approve anything. Replacement items like bulbs are self-certified by the manufacturer. Their LEDs may meet DOT requirements as replacements for existing LED installations, but Federal rules require that replacement headlamps must match the dimensions and electrical specifications of the factory equipment. You can't make an LED physically and electrically match a halogen bulb.

DOT doesn't approve anything. Replacement items like bulbs are self-certified by the manufacturer. Their LEDs may meet DOT requirements as replacements for existing LED installations, but Federal rules require that replacement headlamps must match the dimensions and electrical specifications of the factory equipment. You can't make an LED physically and electrically match a halogen bulb.

So that 1917 Cadillac car must still use lanterns? If true it is of course laughable. I would want a jury trial.

And how about all those "for off road use only" Harley exhaust systems - even on the Oakland, CA police bikes?

Here is one that at least seems to have some science behind it. Priced as a pair, so it would do two bikes...

https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/12953BWX2/x-treme-ultinon-led-car-headlight-bulb

$228.72 on Amazon, making it $114.36 per bike. That’s getting into the $$ range of LED auxiliary lights, and they’d eliminate questions about lens or reflector compatibility and allow selection of beam type and aim.

It would be nice if the Phillips units had a color temp more in the 4.5k-5k range.

Best,
DG

Nice bulbs but $186 for a pair on eBay. Not inexpensive that is for sure.

When the Cyclops is $75 each, it is not much different for what looks like superior design and performance. Do a buddy buy. In my case I have three bikes using H4's so it is a case of deciding who would get left out, or buy two sets and have a spare. Just on bulb changing though, with an estimated 10-12 year life it may make it to breakeven over halogen. My bikes do good to get two years from a motorcycle rated H4 bulb. On bikes with a difficult bulb change procedure, aggravation reduction would have an impact as well.

I purchased 2 LED bulbs for my 06 R1200RT at the national in 2016. Bought from Cyclopes. The light is bright on the road but not as far reaching as I wished. But I wasn't to happy with the bulb I had that was an incandesce hi output. I added the Cyclopes that mount on the forks and they get out there on their low setting. I've not changed out my Hi Beam yet but I will this national. I was burning out the hi output bulbs yearly and have had to splice in new wire due to over heating. of those Hi output bulbs. This is for what it's worth.

Tom Casey
R12RT Big Red
R75/6 Ole yeller

I've been using the Cyclops H7 LED bulbs in my F800GT for over a year now. I ride all year long, so this time of the year often has me riding in the dark. The Cyclops LED lights work well. The cutoff is virtually the same as the halogen bulb was.

The Cyclops bulbs come with a plastic ring or spacer that puts the LED light in the same area you'd find on a halogen bulb.

Chris

Back