• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Nav VI

bobw

I have several routes on my GPS and sometimes when I'm out riding and decide I went to get on one of the routes and I am not near the beginning I see no way to do it. It shows me 3 options near the beginning. Anyone know of a way around this? I did not have this problem with my Garmin 660.

Bob, I believe that if you:
  • Select "Apps" from the main screen
  • Select "Trip Planner"
  • Scroll to your route that you've saved and wish to ride to the starting point of and tap it to open it up
  • Tap "Go" on the lower right
  • That takes you to "Select Next Destination" which lists your destinations in order
  • Select the very first destination at the top, which would/should be where you'd planned on starting from
  • Select "Start"
It should automatically navigate there.

Alan what I'm trying to do is start in the middle of the route. I see where it gives me three locations to start from but if I'm not in that area I would like to start from a location further away.
Bob

Bob, I don't think it will let you use the "Trip" to navigate to any point other than the beginning from someplace outside the trip.

AFAIK, you'd have to select the point that you want to navigate to as though it were a stand-alone route. Once you are on your pre-defined route that you have setup in Trip Planner you could then pull up the route and start riding from whatever point you are at without having to go back to the beginning of it. Simply select the next waypoint that you want to get to.

So say you have waypoints 1, 2, 3, and 4 in a saved route.

As mentioned, it isn't an issue to get it to navigate to waypoint 1 from wherever you are, but I don't think it will navigate from someplace outside the route to waypoint 2.

It seems you would need to do a separate navigation to waypoint 2 by entering it as your destination. IIRC, from past experience, once you are are at waypoint 2 (or in the vaccinity) you can then pull up the saved trip and when you have the 4 waypoints listed select the next one you want to navigate to (3) and it will take you there and on to #4.

That's the only way I've been able to do it, but someone else with a deeper understanding of this gear might have figured out how to get to #2 from a significant distance outside the actual route.

IIRC on the 660, you would select the where to option, then the route, then it would ask if you wanted to navigate from the start, yes/no. If you selected no, you would just keep on going from where you are.
The same way, if you were off route and had auto-recalculate route at off, the gps would only keep giving directions when you got back on route.

The Nav V and VI and most Garmins now don't have that. The option is to select the route in the planner and then go to the next waypoint along the route. It works like a charm if you have lots of waypoints, not so much if you don't. If it tells you to turn around, just skip to the next waypoint and so on.

Anyone's NAV VI crash after newest update. I have two. One went totally bonkers and one is acting strange. Also I still get the must use bike when trying to access the media player. The dealer sent one back to Garmin the other I am waiting to see what happens. I can't find a way to undo the last backup.

Last edited:
I was on a ride Saturday and missed a turn and wanted to skip it and go to the next one as I knew where it was and the doggone thing kept telling me to make a U turn and go back to it. I've now turned on "Automatically Skip Waypoints" and maybe that will stop it doing it.

I also don't know what "Off Route Recalculation" does?
Bob

I was on a ride Saturday and missed a turn and wanted to skip it and go to the next one as I knew where it was and the doggone thing kept telling me to make a U turn and go back to it. I've now turned on "Automatically Skip Waypoints" and maybe that will stop it doing it.

I also don't know what "Off Route Recalculation" does?
Bob
I run mine with "Automatically Skip Waypoints" so it doesn't try to re-route me back to the skipped waypoint, and for "Off Route Recalculation", I have that set to "Prompted".

"Off Route Recalculation" is a good tool that some folks like to use and others don't.

When you have a route set, if you deviate from that route, the Nav-VI gives you three settings to deal with it through the "Off Route Recalculation" settings.
  • Automatic - As the name suggests this automatically recalculates your route. If you are pre-occupied with navigating the bike/route/traffic/etc., at that point, you may miss that it occurred and not realize that you are not following the route you plotted.
  • Off - Will not adjust to an off-route move and will route you back to your defined route at the earliest point
  • Prompted - This prompts you with a message that you have gone off your route and asks if you would like to recalculate.

I like to set it to "Prompted" so that I'm sure not to miss my route unless I actually wish to.

Thanks AllenCoe, Its cold here in Texas so will be a few days before I can get out and use it. I'm slowly learning how to use it.
Bob

It is definitely a learning curve for all of us.

Cold is a relative thing. Appears to be 29F-30F in Waco now. It is 10F here with a "feels like" temperature of 0F. So I'd gladly trade you. ;-)
We're supposed to be getting up to 32-34F in a few days and everyone will think summer has come (relatively speaking).

One of the things that I did to help speed up my learning curve was to take my Nav-V and Nav-VI with me in the car and use it. I would set in the route to both my in-car GPS and my Nav. Also have a Garmin nuvi-56 for when I'm away and using rental cars and I have spent several thousand miles over the years with 3 GPS units running at the same time to help identify what each is doing and how they differ.

The times that I had a passenger, I'd try to get a period with them driving so that I could operate the GPS units unimpeded and get a better idea of what it was doing and how. This really helped me in the beginning.

I have used this method (me as a passenger) to evaluate my dedicated GPS units vs Google Maps, Waze, CoPilot GPS, Android Auto, HERE WeGo, Sygic, etc. and still prefer the dedicated GPS for many reasons/features. The smartphone based apps are getting quite good and I like many of the Andriod Auto features, but they aren't there yet. I've been using dedicated GPS units since shortly after the the first widely commercial ones became available and so I've gotten to know them pretty well. Anything new like phone apps has another learning curve which makes it harder to switch when you've already got a built-up knowledge-base with the other. Very much like iOS and Andriod, whichever one is most familiar with that is the one we tend to favour.

AlanCoes I'm 77 and spent almost half my life in Michigan. And I have rode in cold weather when I was younger but don't have to do it now. I did have my electric gear on when I rode Saturday with the GPS problems. It was only in the low 40's and wet. I decided I like it better when it cool to warm.

Anyway thanks for the advise and I'll get out and try the different setting to make sure I understand how it works.
bob

Back