• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Friction Point Shifting

HowardR1200RT

Recently read an article on what the author called friction point shifting where you dont pull the clutch lever in all the way you just keep slight up pressure on the shift lever and then pull the clutch lever in until the tranny shifts and then let the clutch lever out. Actually works quite well for upshifts but would like other opinoins as to whether this is good, bad, or just another way to shift.
Hope this doesnt turn into an oil thread.:)

There never is any point to pulling the clutch lever further than is needed to disconnect the clutch. It is all a matter of having a good "feel" for what you are doing and the muscle memory that goes with it - shift after shift after shift.

It sounds like that article speaks the obvious and the author gave a name to that which is and ought to be common technique.

Paul is correct as usual and in fact if you don't want to use the clutch at all you certainly can.

That's upshifting, of course.

The whole thread isn't much use for downshifting as you likely want a little time to match engine revs before clutch reengagement.

An acquaintance of a friend used to shift his LT by preloading the shifter and waiting on the rev limiter to engage! And no, never would I recommend that but it is the equivalent of a poor man's shift assist. :dance

Went on long ride today on the 12S, and after the foot position thread and this one, I spent too much time critiquing body position and appendage outputs:hungover
Missed a shift or two, laughed at the self inflicted cause, played with clutch engagement until you couldn't really tell diff from clutch-less up shifts and minimal clutch action. I blip throttle by old habits already. I pre-load shifter almost every model we have and some require it more.

It all seems so routine and don't think I think about it ...until after these threads:lol Took a mind clearing goof off ride to a rolling lab it seems.
On way home, I turned all that off and concentrated on scanning for critters and had a fantastic ride.

... It all seems so routine and don't think I think about it ...until after these threads:lol ....
Anyone else ever bleed ABS I the manual way? You bleed the brakes, then go out and find some wet grass or other slick surface, get up to speed and activate the ABS. This cycles the new fluid into the pump and requires no special BMW gadgetry. It does, however, require multiple attempts to accomplish. I just couldn't hold the brakes on full lock. A few hundred thousand miles of "that's just wrong" took several tries to overcome.

Thanks for the memories. Now back to our thread ...

Arguing with yourself is fine.
Even answering yourself is OK too.
It's only when you go "Huh? Wha'd you say?" that you have a problem...

Back