• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sidestand for an RT

Sidestand

I prefer the Brown over the Farley because when deployed it goes over-center. I've seen the Farley retract when the bike rolled forward on a slope.
Somewhere there is a thread on the Brown stand about using a clamp (BMW OEM) from a GS cylinder guard or something along that line to mount the front part of stand directly to the frame.

Mine is another vote for the Brown Sidestand. I have one on my 82 RS and it's excellent in every way. The manufacturer's instructions and mounting hardware however are not so great. It's a two point system where the strong point is your left rear engine mount bolt and the front one is an exhaust pipe clamp. Because the stand flexes and rotates slightly the front clamp slowly destroys your header pipe. First the rust from rubbing the chrome off and then the cracks.

Thankfully there is a cheap and very effective solution using BMW OEM frame clamps.

I posted this solution with a photo here:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?89001-My-Browns-side-stand-install&p=1088733&viewfull=1#post1088733

The whole thread on the same question you have now is here:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?89001-My-Browns-side-stand-install&highlight=brown+sidestand

Pretty sure the Brown stand is still available at Bob's BMW. I have a Flying Teapot sidestand on my 81 G/S. I wanted another Brown stand for it as well but they don't make one for that bike. The Flying Teapot stand is also excellent and both are MILES better than the tricky to deploy BMW OEM stand. My left shin still bears the scars of trying to shove my boot under the left cylinder to get that thing deployed and stay out while I moved the bike over without dropping it. Not their best design to be sure...

The only downside to these stands are that they don't have a good foot at the ground. You have to carry the mobile side stand foot for soft pavement, sand, ground, etc. to keep the bikes from taking a nap. :)

Side stand foot

The only downside to these stands are that they don't have a good foot at the ground. You have to carry the mobile side stand foot for soft pavement, sand, ground, etc. to keep the bikes from taking a nap. :)

A friend who rides Harley’s showed me how to fold or smash a beer can the right way to do that job.

A friend who rides Harley’s showed me how to fold or smash a beer can the right way to do that job.
I found that the Foster's oil can beer is a good selection as a side stand puck. The only problem is it limits the selection of taverns and bars to patronize. :hungover

Well, compared to an OEM K100 or F800 stand, these have plenty of "foot".

Foster side stand puck

I found that the Foster's oil can beer is a good selection as a side stand puck. The only problem is it limits the selection of taverns and bars to patronize. :hungover

Foster’s oilcan very under appreciated beer, if I have 2 or 3 I am pretty well pucked. Remember the good old days when it was an Aussie beer :) than one day got one only it was brewed in Canada :scratch still ok last one I had it was brewed in Texas :banghead kind of brings to mind the salsa ad.
Also important to know it is possible to find cozies to fit oil cans!
Is it my imagination or does fosters taste better out of the oil can than other sizes?

Last temp up to 26 and I have not tried the oilcan for several years so I think I will go out get one and see where it’s brewed and how it tastes.

Back