• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adirondacks Summer 2018

tur44

Hi all. I’m watching the early stages of first storm of the winter but I am thinking of next season. Would like to get as far the Adirondacks. Was there years ago in car and love the area.
Plan to cross the border at Calais, Maine and go through the White Mountains in NH and on Across Vermont to NY.
Thinking I’ll cross back into Canada in NY or Vermont and back east on the TCH.
Any suggestions for places to stay, see etc in NY? I have been through Maine and NH on bike before. Some great riding there.

I figure I’ll have 10-12 days but I’m on the east coast of Newfoundland and need 2 of those days to cross and recross the island.
Thanks for your input.

The area around Meredith NH will give you nice views of “the Big lake”. A run through N. Conway will have traffic but there is always Hurricane Mountain Rd. South of N. Conway is the Kancamagus Highway, always a nice run. Also in the area is a chance to ride to the top of Mt. Washington which is pretty nice when the weather permits.
OM

It would help if you provide a few details about your riding style, bike, preferences on food, camping vs hotels, etc. Do you want to maximize your time in the Adirondacks, or is half the adventure getting there and back?

July '18 planned trip to NS and PEI

Hi all. I’m watching the early stages of first storm of the winter but I am thinking of next season. Would like to get as far the Adirondacks. Was there years ago in car and love the area.
Plan to cross the border at Calais, Maine and go through the White Mountains in NH and on Across Vermont to NY.
Thinking I’ll cross back into Canada in NY or Vermont and back east on the TCH.
Any suggestions for places to stay, see etc in NY? I have been through Maine and NH on bike before. Some great riding there.

I figure I’ll have 10-12 days but I’m on the east coast of Newfoundland and need 2 of those days to cross and recross the island.
Thanks for your input.

Hi Tur44:

I'm planning a 3 week run next July with a buddy to Nova Scotia and PEI and wondered if it would be worth taking in NewFoundland too. The place must be different being so far north. Is it worth us making the extra effort? I presume we'll use a ferry from NS or PEI as it seems quite a ways to get on the Island by land? I would assume we'd have to book in advance, and last question do you have a lot of tourism in the summer?

Scott

My New Red RT:

red2.jpg

Hi Tur44:

I'm planning a 3 week run next July with a buddy to Nova Scotia and PEI and wondered if it would be worth taking in NewFoundland too. The place must be different being so far north. Is it worth us making the extra effort? I presume we'll use a ferry from NS or PEI as it seems quite a ways to get on the Island by land? I would assume we'd have to book in advance, and last question do you have a lot of tourism in the summer?

Scott

My New Red RT:

View attachment 65454
Hi Scott
I am biased of course so I naturally encourage you to make the effort.
The only place to get the ferry is at North Sydney, on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. From June through early September you have two choices for the ferry trip.
The shorter one takes about six hours and lands you in Port aux Basques on the island’s west coast.
The longer trip lands you in Argentia on the east coast and takes about sixteen hours.
If you only have three weeks and you are touring PEI and NS too you are probably better off taking the shorter ferry to the west coast and touring that side of the island.
Reservations are advisable in July.
There are lots of tourists here in the summer but we are definitely not overrun.
Where are you riding from?

If you are looking to camp, we have had good experiences at Moffit Beach State Park, outside of Speculator, NY. The 2 times I have been there, the park rangers/staff were motorcycle friendly, and allowed us to ride in to check the sites prior to taking our money. The little town of Speculator has a tiny diner that serves good breakfast options and an all purpose store with groceries and even some camping items in case you left something home.

John

I’d spend a night near Burlington Vt. Take the ferry across lake Champlain down into Lak Placid, on to Cooperstown. Stay there then head to the finger lakes

If you're touring the Finger Lakes region, check out the Glenn Curtiss museum in Hammondsport, NY. Great roads around there, too!

I was in In the finger lakes last fall for the vintage race at the 'Glen and stopped at the Curtiss museum.... it's definitely worth half a day or so.
Plan to hit it again this fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NS, PEI and possibly NFL

Hi Scott
I am biased of course so I naturally encourage you to make the effort.
The only place to get the ferry is at North Sydney, on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. From June through early September you have two choices for the ferry trip.
The shorter one takes about six hours and lands you in Port aux Basques on the island’s west coast.
The longer trip lands you in Argentia on the east coast and takes about sixteen hours.
If you only have three weeks and you are touring PEI and NS too you are probably better off taking the shorter ferry to the west coast and touring that side of the island.
Reservations are advisable in July.
There are lots of tourists here in the summer but we are definitely not overrun.
Where are you riding from?

Hi Tur44:

Sorry, I seem to have missed your post back in December and wondered why I hadn't got an answer. Go figure. I'll be starting out from Asheville, NC where I keep the bike in summer, and my buddy will leave Ft. Lauderdale, FL and run up to join me. I've now suggested that we take the extra time to do Newfoundland and leave the bikes in Vermont or Maine for a month at a storage unit somewhere and come back for them in August for another run back down. I haven't started looking at hotels/motels in NS as it looks like they have quite a lot but perhaps I should develop a rudimentary plan and book one or two along the way. I presume the hotel/motels are limited in Newfoundland? I know absolutely nothing about that area except for the fact that it looks like it'll be cold.

I'll be riding Red:

leftfront.jpg

Hope you catch this post,

Scott

Scotty just getting to this. If you get the ferry to Port Aux Basques, you will be two hours on the Trans Canada Highway (Route 1) from Corner Brook which has five or six hotels. Another half hour puts you in Deer Lake where there are a few more. Depends where you head and how long you have here but assuming you only have a couple of days then you probably should stay on the west coast and go up the northern peninsula on the Viking Trail. Gros Morne National Park is up there with hotels in the towns all around the park.
One word of warning: watch out for moose. Every year there are serious accidents with moose. Hitting a 800 to 1200 lb moose on a bike at speed never has a good outcome. I recommend you don’t travel after dark because they are very active at night, are very hard to see and often stand on the highway. But they can be around during the day as well so be aware all the time on highways. Keep this in mind.
Google will take you to plenty of touristy info on Newfoundland that should be helpful.

Back