• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'You are being programmed,' former Facebook executive warns

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
_98121506_010253739.jpg

A former Facebook executive has criticised the social network for ripping society apart during a question and answer session.
Chamath Palihapitiya, who worked as Facebook's vice president for user growth, was speaking at an event run by the Stanford Graduate School of Business on 10 November in which he described feeling "tremendous guilt' in helping the company attract two billion users.
His comments echoed remarks by Sean Parker, one of the early pioneers of Facebook, who spoke on 8 November, saying the social network provided "a dopamine hit and a social validation feedback loop, that exploited a vulnerability in human psychology."
However, coverage this week has seen thousands responding to Palihaptiya's words.
"We have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works," he told the audience.
He advised people take a "hard break" from social media, describing its effect as "short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops."

More here- http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-42322746

It has caught a lot of people that forgot that posting evidence of doing really goofy things can be a bad idea. When are you going on vacation? :eek
OM

_98121506_010253739.jpg

A former Facebook executive has criticised the social network for ripping society apart during a question and answer session.
Chamath Palihapitiya, who worked as Facebook's vice president for user growth, was speaking at an event run by the Stanford Graduate School of Business on 10 November in which he described feeling "tremendous guilt' in helping the company attract two billion users.
His comments echoed remarks by Sean Parker, one of the early pioneers of Facebook, who spoke on 8 November, saying the social network provided "a dopamine hit and a social validation feedback loop, that exploited a vulnerability in human psychology."
However, coverage this week has seen thousands responding to Palihaptiya's words.
"We have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works," he told the audience.
He advised people take a "hard break" from social media, describing its effect as "short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops."

More here- http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-42322746

It has caught a lot of people that forgot that posting evidence of doing really goofy things can be a bad idea. When are you going on vacation? :eek
OM

There are many of us who knew this about 'Farce-Book.' :banghead

Signed: Wisconsin SKYNET Resistance Brigade

I read an article regarding this very topic in American Free Press and found it alarming. Here are some of the highlights of the article....

ADDICTED to FACEBOOK
Sean Parker, a former executive at Facebook, says it and all social media are carefully designed upon psychological models to get you hooked, keep you coming back and exploit you. The first corporate president of Facebook recently told online news source "Axios.com" that social network creators such as Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook's CEO, purposely designed and structured their social media applications in ways that hook and then potentially hurt the human brain.
According to Sean Parker, 38, the psychological effects of social media were both inherent in and strategically part of the building of Facebook.
"That thought process was all about , 'How do we consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible?'" Parker said. "That means that we needed to sort of give you a little dopamine hit every once in a while because someone liked or commented on a photo or post or whatever."
That burst in dopamine in a person's brain then causes the user to contribute more content so that the user can get even more likes and comments. The compiling of likes and comments then becomes what Parker calls a "social validation feedback loop." The user looks to social media feedback for instant gratification and social validation, often from other people with whom the user has no significant relationship....
He cautioned, "It literally changes your relationship with society, with each other. It probably interferes with productivity in weird ways. God only knows what it's doing to our children's brains."

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT! :eek

The only reason to be on FB is to sell stuff. I did it for my charter business and it worked up to a point. Now it is only for my family and friends whom I actually know in real life.
If you are smart about it than there should be no problems being on "social" media, but as common sense is not so common anymore a lot of people get sucked in and in extreme cases it wrecks their lives.
People these days don't talk to each other anymore and often enough going to a restaurant you can see an entire family or group not saying a word as their faces are buried into their "smart" phones.
Phones are definitely smarter than their owners. In a lot of cases I think the phone owns the person...:eek

The only reason to be on FB is to sell stuff. I did it for my charter business and it worked up to a point. Now it is only for my family and friends whom I actually know in real life.
If you are smart about it than there should be no problems being on "social" media, but as common sense is not so common anymore a lot of people get sucked in and in extreme cases it wrecks their lives.
People these days don't talk to each other anymore and often enough going to a restaurant you can see an entire family or group not saying a word as their faces are buried into their "smart" phones.
Phones are definitely smarter than their owners. In a lot of cases I think the phone owns the person...:eek

:thumb:thumb

FB programmed

Mmmusssttt ccccchhhhheeeecccckkkkk mmmmmmyyyyyyy FFaacccceeeeBBoookkkkk. :banghead

Friedle
arguably as smart as his Fischer Price cell phone

I was on Facebook for awhile. I found that you could really get to know people.... I soon dumped Facebook.

Maybe we could start a FB club here.......Where is that picture of my lunch? :banghead
OM

Actually there is a BMW MOA group on Facebook. I find very little overlap between who is here and who is there. Although, with all the phony handles without any real identification here and there it is somewhat hard to tell unless one is schooled is forensic linguistics.

Last edited:
You mean Facebook is kinda like motorcycle forums? Addictive? Gotta check frequently and see if anyone responded to my post?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Facebook but I'm pretty addicted to these forums.

Actually there is a BMW MOA group on Facebook. I find very little overlap between who is here and who is there. Although, will all the phony handles without any real identification here and there it is somewhat hard to tell unless one is schooled is forensic linguistics.

Actually well aware of MOA FB Page and like all the rest of FB, I skip it.
I’m not worried about someone’s “handles”, many times easier to pronounce and when “Paul” is mentioned I’ll bet there is a lot of them.
OM

In the beginning, people used facebook as a new and exciting way to communicate, keep in touch with their long lost friends and family. It really was a great thing, and to some degree can still be used for those purposes. But over the years, the unavoidable human nature to worship one self takes over, and facebook gets used as a place to vent our frustrations. News media constantly telling us what a bad world we live in, never tells us the good stuff, makes us believe our lives are less than they could be. News media, especially on facebook hits us with messages every day, telling us what we should think, as a measure of control. Anyone that speaks out against the idea or message of the day is usually singled out, ridiculed, talked down to, and eventually expunged. It's human nature to do so, if you are not part of the flock, you are the black sheep which must be cast out. I've seen the same mentality even in this very forum and I've only been here for a few months. I agree it wouldn't hurt to take a break from social media periodically just to regain a sense of reality with the world and your own life.

Actually well aware of MOA FB Page and like all the rest of FB, I skip it.
I’m not worried about someone’s “handles”, many times easier to pronounce and when “Paul” is mentioned I’ll bet there is a lot of them.
OM

I agree about the "Paul" part that could confuse somebody, but a person would need to be illiterate not to know who PGlaves is considering the content in the Sig Line below, and in the member profile.

I agree about the "Paul" part that could confuse somebody, but a person would need to be illiterate not to know who PGlaves is considering the content in the Sig Line below, and in the member profile.

Oh crap!

I thought the "P" was silent, like in pneumonia. :dunno

Back