• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve Adjustment Interval - K1200S

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
I know that the computer thingy will tell me when my bike needs to have its valves looked at but I was hoping one of the wizened denizens of maintenance wisdom could give me an idea on how frequently that might be for a bike ridden mainly on highways and not in the city.

Thanks in advance!

well, I'll bite:wave

After doing around 8-10 checks on Wedge engines, I have not found a valve out of tolerance...one or two were headed in direction of maybe needing a shim on a K12GT, but subsequent check had it at same clearance a few years later.

It is a job for the patient mind, as a lot of stuff has to come off and checking all those valves is another Zen experience. It's a two cup of coffee and a lunch break after you remove the valve cover for me.

None of ours or the others I have checked were driven at Warp8 near engine redline at any frequency if ever as I know the pilots. I think it's a good thing to check because every engine is not the same, but as mentioned haven't seen an issue.

They call it a countdown to valve check, but I haven't seen a dash code saying it was overdue. Only the service interval warning on bikes with the full onboard computer. Our S's were basic models with miles to go after reserve hit about only info other than general warnings.

None of ours or the others I have checked were driven at Warp8 near engine redline at any frequency if ever as I know the pilots. I think it's a good thing to check because every engine is not the same, but as mentioned haven't seen an issue.

Yep, it's not often I hear of a K1200/1300 needing a valve adjustment.

We've had many K series bikes, four of which were K1200S/K1300S. I have the valves checked roughly every 25k but the wedge engines have never needed adjusting. I'll throw in a humorous disclaimer ..... Way back in time we were on an 8000 mile 3 1/2 week cross country trip, part of which was a stop for a BMW national rally. I asked Frank Stevens, BMW National Service Rep (I probably butchered his title, but you get the idea) if we needed to have the valves adjusted on our 1995 R1100RSL before we got home.
His reply was classic, and I can still quote him, "No, but remember I sell valves." :dance

Another Data Point

Our 2008 K1200GT is getting close to 122,000 miles.

At 40,548 the cam chain jumped two teeth - I could hear the valves hitting the pistons!

The shop did a leak down test, all good; a valve check, all good; and replaced everything to do with the cam chain and tensioner.

Some 80,000 miles later the valves are still where they were when the shop did the check back at 40,548 miles.

These bikes seem to have very tough shims and cams.

Though it is a bit of work to get to the valves, I do plan on checking then as called for by the OEM repair manual, every 18,000 miles.

While all the body work and the radiator is off its a good time to clean everything up, especially the radiator out here in the desert southwest.

20141002_140939.jpg

Cleaning the radiator was far more valuable than checking the valves on my K1300. It has made a big difference in how quickly the fan kicks ON.

Unfortunately it is almost the same amount of Labour to do valves or do both valves and clean radiator.

Going forward I will be spraying water with simple green thru my radiator more frequently.

Back