• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Carb Rebuild

For me, when storing the bike, letting it sit, for a week or more, I take off the bottom of the carb. Doesnt hurt anything and HELPS THE FLOATS DRY OUT. i KEEP the old floats and order new ones. The old floats sit on a shelf and in a few months the new floats have absorbed enough fuel to change the level of fuel in the can. So, I put in the old, change nothing, just put them back in and whah freaking lah, no fuel level change in the can and it runs right........Just me and it works for me.........

> but you can buy your Bing parts from BMW at a lower cost.

When I bought parts for a carb rebuild in February this year, I found that buying the parts from BMW was $32 cheaper than buying them from Bing. Part numbers attached for those that don't want to look them up.

But I forgot to buy float bowl jets. 8P

Attachments

• Carb Parts 2-5-21.pdf
    33.6 KB · Views: 9
If you do happen to forget to grind the threads off before removing the screws securing the throttle plate to the axle, you will likely ruin the axle as was mentioned previously. It is necessary to remove these screws to remove the axle and replace the o-rings. I know that Re-Psycle has a box of throttle axles available at a big discount should you need another (or just want to count the first try as a practice effort!).

Rebuild is such a big word!

Besides general cleaning, all you're doing is replacing some o-rings.

Many people fail to follow the Bing recommendation of proactively replacing the diaphragms yearly. They're expensive, but are the most critical components.

Secondly, few also actually replace the needles ... despite the fact that air/fuel rushing past them wears them. Their shape is important.

Thirdly, and I'm guilty of this, replacing the throttle shaft o-rings is very difficult and I skipped doing this a lot. Had a friend who built a jig to help with this, but can't remember those details.

Yeah you need the floats correct, but there is leeway. Did you know you can starve your carbs of fuel with a tankbag essentially sealing the air breathing capability of your gas cap?

Back