Thread: Zen and the art of changing oil on 07 F650

Zen and the art of changing oil on 07 F650

Been doing maintenance on H's 07 650GS for years and a few other year model 650's...gotta say, none are on my favorite list to do an oil change. Boxers and K's seem so simple...well maybe not the Brick K and the filter cover at times. Can do most with only a dribble or two to clean up. Even our thumper KTM's are a cleaner change,even with multiple filters and screens.

As Paul Glaves has made me laugh through the years describing how an oil change on a 650 starts with removing left blinker

I did a yearly service today and you would think the Valdez ran aground. Luckily some carboard was in a good place...mostly.

Between draining tank on left side (will be buying an oil pump after today as I somehow do not own one) , removing the vertical filter housing on right side and the 24mm drain plug blocked by skidpan ,blocked by engine guards, I managed to drip a bit of oil. When it's warm it sure flows nicely.

All my lifts are occupied ,so on the floor I was having a great time.
    At least this one doesn't have the oil in the front frame rail or I would have made a bigger mess.

I lost the Zen moment I was expecting and will not remember the mess until the next service...rinse and repeat
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Embrace the grime Grasshopper.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Kitty litter may add to your zen feelings...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Yeah, kind of accept the fact that model just makes a mess and my clothing from yesterday has a nice aroma now.

And a proud member of the Kitty Litter Club since I wiped out mom's garage floor with a major spill in the 70's...thing is if you have it nearby, no spills...run out and you are in trouble
    We used 50lb bags of it trying to contain transformer oil spills in my former life...burnt transformer oil is a little stronger smell than Castrol and way more volume!

H of course commented on the cardboard floorpan and the many shop towels scattered about when she wheeled in last night..."whatcha doin to my bike?" she left on the 1150 this morning and looking at the whiteboard...it's due as well. She hastens the time frame more than I do lately. All good.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 KenDittrick's Avatar
    The 07 650GT was the first Beemer we ever owned. I could not believe my eyes when I saw where the 'fill' and the 'drains' were! What in#$%#&^ were those German engineers thinking? I literally walked straight back to my computer and googled a bit and then started to work. Needless to say should of done more preparation and I made a royal mess... the next time and the time after that. I did spend the time in between fashioning a bespoke filler nozzle out of a beer can and learned to stand on one foot and squint with my left eye open only. That way I never saw the spilled oil draining into my right boot.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

First time will be this weekend on my newly-acquired G650GS - this just reaffirms how much "fun" it's going to be!
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    An adult beverage of your choice may help too....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Get an empty quart size gear oil bottle. Remove the bottom and the lower 2/3 of the side where the handle is. Should look like a scoop that one might use for dog food. Slide the bottle under the oil filter housing. It will direct “most of the oil out thru the spout.....
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Get an empty quart size gear oil bottle. Remove the bottom and the lower 2/3 of the side where the handle is. Should look like a scoop that one might use for dog food. Slide the bottle under the oil filter housing. It will direct “most of the oil out thru the spout.....
    You know, I use a Clorox bottle "scoop" for transmission drain on Hexheads typically...it was sitting within reach and I still popped the cover off I had already played the dribble while draining upper tank step and was already feeling a fail for the day on shop activities.

Let's see if I remember next time.

It just seemed this time had a lot more oil in the filter cavity, or I was thinking how little came out of the KTM with similar setup I did recently. I thought I had it all cleaned up only to see a few drops on floor this morning coming from who knows where ,it was def old oil. Still laughing at myself...kinda.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Or-

The New Pig form a funnel- https://www.newpig.com.au/pig-form-a...ning-tool_p107

Also available from Amazon and other retailers.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

That's pretty cool as it's bendable

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    That's pretty cool as it's bendable
    I'm pretty sure it's a lead flashing kinda deal covered with flexible rubber-like coating.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I think my idea (an idea not original to me) will work better than that artifact of the vast motorcycle industrial complex.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

I think my idea (an idea not original to me) will work better than that artifact of the vast motorcycle industrial complex.
    You could split the difference and just use lead flashing. Lead flashing is really handy. The edges are easily turned to “hook onto” attachment possibilities on the bike. I punch a hole in the sheet so it can be hung to drip-dry.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Bump

Changed oil on the 07 Valdez again yesterday... still haven’t purchased suction setup for oil tank and did the PGlaves remove left blinker method again. Did use the bleach bottle scoop under oil filter this time... still managed a few puddles on my cardboard catcher
    Removing engine guards and skid pan got skipped and just let it drain off tail of skid pan into tub. Another PITA on this model. Risk/ reward process of time management

My least fav bike in the fleet to service... but it is what it is and H is happy.

7DFB9D69-3E79-4684-9CDA-18132BC8334F.jpeg

6E4E69E4-5CA7-43C3-8048-5A7D9CFDD1A0.jpeg