• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Using the High Beam Circuit for a Relay 2017 R1200GS

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
Can any one offer any advice on identifying and gaining access to the high beam circuit on a 2017 R1200GS? I wish to use it to power a relay for auxiliary lights.

:lurk
I'm thinking the CANBUS will growl at that Kevin. I'll be interested in how it works out :thumb
Gary

I’ve used CanBus circuits to power relays in the past. Relays demand such small amperage so as to sneak under the CanBus radar. In this case I’m hoping not to have to employ the hunt and peck technique to find the circuit.

On my Hexhead GSA, the relay trigger is on the high beam so they come on when I hit BRIGHT. Have not caused an error code on display.
It is such a low draw, doesn't bother CANBUS logic.
I recall going thru the little rubber boot vent on rear of housing and posi-tap to rear of bulb socket with slack for bulb changeouts

Now, north of I-40 I have no guarantees:wave

On my Hexhead GSA, the relay trigger is on the high beam so they come on when I hit BRIGHT. Have not caused an error code on display.
It is such a low draw, doesn't bother CANBUS logic.
I recall going thru the little rubber boot vent on rear of housing and posi-tap to rear of bulb socket with slack for bulb changeouts

Now, north of I-40 I have no guarantees:wave

I’m concerned that having LED lights may complicate the issue, but I will try tracing the wire from the high beam switch to a convenient location and see if that works. Will be on the lookout for a white wire.

Forgot you have that fancy new fangled lighting. Are there no more access covers as well? Haven't dealt with Wethead lighting yet.

Look at the actual socket at the bulb. Confirm wire color (white since God was a Cub Scout) and trace backwards to a good connect point.

Back