• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Are Thumpers All That Buzzy?

royce

I've never owned a single cylinder motorcycle. Never. I don't recall even riding one--at least not for any distance to speak of. But I find myself wondering if they really do vibrate as much as most folk say? If so, how noticeable and how objectionable is the vibration? BTW, I want feedback about a late-model, even new, bike, not a 20 year old beater.
My reason for asking is that I am considering buying one and I don't think a simple test ride will give me enough of an impression about it. I will use it for all-day rides and the occasional weekend trip, as well as an everyday around-town ride.
What is the wisdom of the group?

I've never owned a single cylinder motorcycle. Never. I don't recall even riding one--at least not for any distance to speak of. But I find myself wondering if they really do vibrate as much as most folk say? If so, how noticeable and how objectionable is the vibration? BTW, I want feedback about a late-model, even new, bike, not a 20 year old beater.
My reason for asking is that I am considering buying one and I don't think a simple test ride will give me enough of an impression about it. I will use it for all-day rides and the occasional weekend trip, as well as an everyday around-town ride.

Properly designed - with a countershaft, for example - and properly maintained, no they are not buzzy generally. They might have a narrow RPM where there is a little buzz. My 4 cylinder K100 was a lot worse than our F650s or dirt bikes. The F650s were also less buzzy than any Airhead or Oilhead slightly out of tune. The worst bike we have ever owned for buzziness was a 1979 R65. They were notoriously so bad that the aftermarket sold rubber rear engine mounts composed of a rubbery elastomer between two metal washers to attempt to damp the buzz.

My wife has a '13 G650. It kinda vibrates in the seat, which I think is a low seat. The bars don't seem to vibrate very much at all. Then again I was going 50-70mph. Of course, it's in a particular rpm range (maybe 4k). It could just be this bike. Others don't report any issues.

I test rode a '97 F650GS, it wasn't very vibbey at all. trying to figure out why hers has more vibrations. Could be the seat, something needs torqued down.:dunno

It seems there was a HP increase from 42hp up to 53hp in later models that may make them more vibbey than their predecessors.

Related:

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Vibrations.htm

It makes a distinctive sound under load. Pop-pop-pop. Then again this is a 650 single. I have a R12GS and the thumper is a fun bike. I can see why people prefer this bike for it's light weight and general purpose utility.

Have a G650GS and I don't find it that bad. I've had twin motorbikes that would leave my hands feeling numb way back. Even with the knobby Coni's on it's pretty smooth.

My son has a new G310R; I've ridden it some and don't find it "buzzy" at all. Sure, you can tell it's a small displacement motor, but it's not objectionable in any way. Just my opinion, YMMV.

In my experience, a thumper is no more buzzy than a twin-cylinder bike.

I owned two Suzuki Burgman 400s. Supposedly, they were buzzy because they were single-cylinder bikes. I started wearing ear plugs at one point and noticed an amazing transformation. But the engine noise out, and just go by what you feel...and the bike seemed very smooth.

I suggest not ruling out a thumper, and try it on your test ride with ear plugs. You might be very pleasantly surprised.

Chris

We have three, a f650, 390 and 690 KTM Dukes. They all have characteristics, but not a buzz like an out of tune Boxer as mentioned.
The BMW drones along, the KTM 690 dislikes 30 mph zones in any gear and the 390 is its milder sibling that can manage commuting traffic. The Thump is definitely there, moreso on the 690 and takes me a few miles to adjust to throttle responses.

I hear folks compare twins and thumpers to four cylinder UJM models, never going to be sewing machine smooth as most in that class.

And do folks not wear hearing protection all the time:scratch I waited too long in life to get the memo and regret the consequences.

Anyways, at some RPM range each of ours may have a buzz that some feel, some do not...lotta help huh?

Ride a few and see how it works for you

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I do intend to get as long a test ride as Engle's will allow me and, with the help from this thread, I think I will be able to make an informed decision. (Sure wish the new 310 was available already.)
Again, thanks for the replies.

I have a 2016 kTM 390 Duke. My only real complaints is that the seating position is a bit cramped and the gas tank is small. Having said that, I frequently drive it 120 miles non-stop (cuz that's as far as I dare on a single tank). It's quite happy cruising at an indicated 80MPH. On the positive side, it's amazing quick (as long as you don't mind shifting a lot) and it's really, really light. Compared to the BMWs it feels like the world's fastest pedal bike.

I test drove a 2015 KTM690. I found the vibration excessive. They are supposed to be better from the 2016 model on.

College friends had BSA 441 Victors and a BSA 500 single. They were serious vibrators.

I have a 2016 kTM 390 Duke. My only real complaints is that the seating position is a bit cramped and the gas tank is small. Having said that, I frequently drive it 120 miles non-stop (cuz that's as far as I dare on a single tank). It's quite happy cruising at an indicated 80MPH. On the positive side, it's amazing quick (as long as you don't mind shifting a lot) and it's really, really light. Compared to the BMWs it feels like the world's fastest pedal bike.

I test drove a 2015 KTM690. I found the vibration excessive. They are supposed to be better from the 2016 model on.

College friends had BSA 441 Victors and a BSA 500 single. They were serious vibrators.
And serious bikes....

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Vibration in the seat....

If you intend to ride the 650 single mostly off road - then its an ok ride. However, if you plan on doing any kind of road miles on it: it will vibrate your fillings out and make your bum buzz. It is my understanding that this is model was really meant for off road riding. The twin is a much smoother ride on road and off. Could you improve the buzzy feeling in the seat? Probably - but in my experience (limited to 3 days) the twin is much better. I would agree that a simple test ride won’t give you a full sense of how much vibration there is - and frankly, what one person decides is tolerable for vibration, another won’t. I spent 3 full days of on road and off road riding and decided that the extra money on the 650 twin was worth it to me.

The new 310 is a single but it is my understanding that it is engineered a bit differently so there is less vibration.

Enjoy the shopping!

I think you underestimate the suitability of the 650 single as a long distance ride. It has been the choice of BMWMOA mileage contest winners, around the world riders and Prudhoe to Tierra del Fuego.

If you intend to ride the 650 single mostly off road - then its an ok ride. However, if you plan on doing any kind of road miles on it: it will vibrate your fillings out and make your bum buzz. It is my understanding that this is model was really meant for off road riding. The twin is a much smoother ride on road and off. Could you improve the buzzy feeling in the seat? Probably - but in my experience (limited to 3 days) the twin is much better. I would agree that a simple test ride won’t give you a full sense of how much vibration there is - and frankly, what one person decides is tolerable for vibration, another won’t. I spent 3 full days of on road and off road riding and decided that the extra money on the 650 twin was worth it to me.

The new 310 is a single but it is my understanding that it is engineered a bit differently so there is less vibration.

Enjoy the shopping!

See, some feel it, some do not.
I think tires add to issues for some. Our 650 doesn't rattle either of our teeth, just feels like a big bore single that we refer to as the sewing machine. Lots of folks have put a lot of road miles on these thru the years . I have ridden a Dakar with knobbies and it was a bit bumpy at 70mph. My 690 Duke as mentioned earlier would wear me out as a travel bike...but it's a hoot for a day ride.

Now these would rattle :eek My oldest brother had a 501 that I felt in the house

aa 501_530.jpg

aa 400 maico.gif

We discovered last year the range limits of the 390 ridge running the Ozarks:banghead...which the 310 may have the same issue with a less than 3 gallon tank. Ours are 2014/15's and have read about a smoother engine in the new 690. As mentioned...whole lot of fun!

Apologies for the iphone orientations...limited download allowance on satellite, so fixing easily on Smugmug doesn't always happen...maddening BS:bluduh
IMG_0129.JPG

so this year, I added some insurance:D
IMG_0657.JPG
IMG_0846-2.jpg

I think you underestimate the suitability of the 650 single as a long distance ride. It has been the choice of BMWMOA mileage contest winners, around the world riders and Prudhoe to Tierra del Fuego.

I agree completely. Voni and I rode ours to and from Alaska on a month-long road trip and found no distress from vibration. A little from the rain one day, but not from vibration. I also used my 2001 650 Dakar (single of course) for two summers as my ride-all-summer touring bike for 4 or more months each of those years.

I do agree with Steve (Henzilla) that tire choice makes a difference is rider comfort.

650 GS Touring Potential

I agree completely. Voni and I rode ours to and from Alaska on a month-long road trip and found no distress from vibration. A little from the rain one day, but not from vibration. I also used my 2001 650 Dakar (single of course) for two summers as my ride-all-summer touring bike for 4 or more months each of those years.

I do agree with Steve (Henzilla) that tire choice makes a difference is rider comfort.

+1

As a machine to ride solo - the G650 GS is just right. I have one tooth larger on the countershaft and it will easily go all day at 85 MPH. Disadvantages are fuel capacity, wind protection and the 2 x 6 they hide in the stock seat. Love the power delivery of the single and would like to see it punched to 700 cc and a sixth gear. Have stretched the valve inspects to 10k and may go further. BMW was early with the x platforms (have one of those also) that looks to be in the same sector as the Ducati scrambler. A few years ago took the G650 from Prudo Bay to Key West in 175 hours which demonstrates that a not very talented rider can take this bike touring.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

+1

As a machine to ride solo - the G650 GS is just right. I have one tooth larger on the countershaft and it will easily go all day at 85 MPH. Disadvantages are fuel capacity, wind protection and the 2 x 6 they hide in the stock seat. Love the power delivery of the single and would like to see it punched to 700 cc and a sixth gear. Have stretched the valve inspects to 10k and may go further. BMW was early with the x platforms (have one of those also) that looks to be in the same sector as the Ducati scrambler. A few years ago took the G650 from Prudo Bay to Key West in 175 hours which demonstrates that a not very talented rider can take this bike touring.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

175 hours for that ride is quite a feat. That's about twice as long as the record, but still impressive for anyone on any bike. :thumb

Back