• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are Thumpers All That Buzzy?

My wife has a '13 G650. It kinda vibrates in the seat, which I think is a low seat. The bars don't seem to vibrate very much at all. Then again I was going 50-70mph. Of course, it's in a particular rpm range (maybe 4k). It could just be this bike. Others don't report any issues.

This has been my experience with my '09 G650GS too, the seat seems to have the most vibration. Right before I purchased it, a new seat was installed, so I think it will take a little time to break in. The handlebars and pegs are relatively vibration free. I did notice that some of my vibration comes from my current tires too, as I have coasted the bike down a long hill at decent speed. I too will be using the Thumper to go from Key West, FL to Deadhorse, AK next year, but taking a little more time.

If you intend to ride the 650 single mostly off road - then its an ok ride. However, if you plan on doing any kind of road miles on it: it will vibrate your fillings out and make your bum buzz. It is my understanding that this is model was really meant for off road riding.

That is a very broad statement & simply not true, unless something was wrong with the one you had. :scratch

175 hours for that ride is quite a feat. That's about twice as long as the record, but still impressive for anyone on any bike. :thumb

Au Contraire. I think I was very close to the record - the old pudgy guy - eat a good meal every night record. I had some pretty good advice from a guy that used to work at the college in Fairbanks. Maybe you could get that person to offer up those same tips for future Alaska travellers.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449 Life

I've never had vibration issues on my '06 Dakar. Photo was taken just after a cross country (well, NY to Missouri to New Mexico, then home) trip. IBA Saddlesore on the way out, a whole bunch of jeep trails in Colorado, and a Bunburner on the way home to NY, all on 50/50 tires. Smooth as silk.

i-kw8227j-X2.jpg

I've never had vibration issues on my '06 Dakar. Photo was taken just after a cross country (well, NY to Missouri to New Mexico, then home) trip. IBA Saddlesore on the way out, a whole bunch of jeep trails in Colorado, and a Bunburner on the way home to NY, all on 50/50 tires. Smooth as silk.

i-kw8227j-X2.jpg
What a nice setup :thumb
OM

Vibration

After only 103,000 miles, saying that the BMW F/G650GS vibrates is right up there with the HD riders trying to tell you that it isn't safe to use the front brake.

Attachments

• 2010 Alcan Trip 004a.jpg
    2010 Alcan Trip 004a.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 76
Thumpers thump. Buzz is more of a four cylinder issue.

I would say that a thumper can have a lot of lower frequency vibrations. But depends on the bike.

Cheers

Good looking bike.

Back