• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'72 Toaster

Just got a '72 R75/5 Toaster tank, now in sequence my 5th BMW, but going backwards in age! Press on these SWB bikes suggests that they have high speed handling issues, wobbling, etc. Anyone have experience r.e. this? Also, who knows which brackets and bags fit the SWB, e.g., do other models and years fit? Thanks. Good to be here!

Just got a '72 R75/5 Toaster tank, now in sequence my 5th BMW, but going backwards in age! Press on these SWB bikes suggests that they have high speed handling issues, wobbling, etc. Anyone have experience r.e. this? Also, who knows which brackets and bags fit the SWB, e.g., do other models and years fit? Thanks. Good to be here!

My 1970 R60/5 was stable up to at least 90 mph. I think that is the fastest I remember ever going with it. What is "SWB"?

Welcome to the forum! SWB stands for short wheelbase. The first /5s up to about mid-year on the '73 models had a shortened swingarm. They then welded in a 50mm spacer and at some point manufactured a longer swingarm. The specs are wheelbase of 2100mm which became 2150.

The wobble issue appears to be real. Duane Ausherman was leading the issue with this and was the go-to guy when he had his dealership on the west coast. You can read about things here:

http://w6rec.com/testing-bmw-motorcycle-for-wobbles/

Plus his own little "controversy"

http://w6rec.com/a-wobble-controversy/

The suspension/geometry must be near perfect nick in order to avoid the problems.

bags and brackets

Numerous bags fit the SWB models. The brackets should be designed for the SWB subframe. Some universal brackets may fit. You might want to go to the BMW slash5 united site to look at all the bags posted there using that tag.

SWB vrs LWB

The SWB stands for a "Short Wheel Base" bike, shorter rear swing arm and seat, The LWB "Long Wheel Base" has a slightly longer, about 3 inches swing arm. Some say the SWB gets squirrely at higher speeds, that may be so but its an individual feel for the bike. One thing that does affect the handling of any motorcycle is the weight in aftermarket items you add on like fairings bags and other things.

Back