• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The motorcycle camping cookbook

richardus

Anyone interested in sharing recipes and techniques for your favorite meals you prepared while motorcycle camping?

Here is a little omelette I prepared by pre-mixing egg, green peppers, salt and pepper in a jar before hand.
Once the fire was hot, I just cooked it up in this little pan. It wasn't bad for roughing it, but I think I'm going to
pass on the jar method next time.

Well drat... I can't find the picture. Oh well,

visualize... :p

I'm also wondering if buying raw chicken pieces and cooking them up in some sort of sauce in a pot over the bunsen burner would work?
Or does the chicken need to be pre-cooked? This is what I bought for next season but have not tried it yet.
616R1nEetkL._SL1134_.jpg

No pictures available....

I have a pair of those 'daily pill' things (you know, you fill them once a week for pills that you take on certain days??) filled with spices instead of pills. Some curry spices, Italian herbs, etc. Stored in Ziplock bags, just in case.

I have a 12" carbon steel wok that is my main cooking implement. I also have some titanium pots. The wok's handle was held in by a rivet of sorts. I drilled it out, and use a proper fitting screw. That way I can remove the handle for easy packing. MSR Whisperlite stove. Sometimes, I may take the other MSR stove we have. Its nice to be able to cook two things at a time. This is not where I got the wok, but it looks something like this: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/to...rbon-steel-wok-with-wood-handle/88534702.html

Most of what I cook is stir fry type or steaks. Occasionally I'll do pasta.

Nothing I have is pre-prepared. I may bring along chicken or other meats from the freezer at home, but that will be used the first night. You can pre cook chicken or something, then freeze it. That way it will defrost during your ride and be ready to just re-heat once you stop for the night.

I don' tnormally bring food from home, there just isn't that much room for stuff. I like finding a grocery store close to the campsite and while the spouse sets up the tent and stuff, I do a bit of grocery shopping.

The spice thing is an awesome idea. Never thought of a wok. That too is awesome. We should have a culinary event at one of the rallies.

Camp cook

Small wok with handle that can be removed great idea I have a small wok that came from I do not know where 8.5 inches across top 4.5 inches bottom. I found it when we had kitchen remodeled planned on putting it in camping stuff but so damn handy in new kitchen remove two small rivets and replace with small bolts would be great on motorcycle IMG_1800.jpg

Guessing from the handle it came from oriental grocery store

Last edited:
Or does the chicken need to be pre-cooked?

Chicken is really easy to over cook, and might be dangerous when under-cooked. I usually saute it separately, set it aside, and add at the end of the recipe. The risk of cooking it with the sauce is that you might not get the temperature high enough to kill any latent bacteria.

Camping with eggs ... not often you can find them in anything other than "dozen" packaging.

HTB13eMTJVXXXXc7XpXXq6xXFXXXX.jpg

Quart and Gallon-size zip lock bags make great mixing "bowls"; don't take up any space to speak of, can then be used a wet-garbage receptacles, and other uses.

I have a pair of those 'daily pill' things (you know, you fill them once a week for pills that you take on certain days??) filled with spices instead of pills.

It seems that as many of us age we begin to have to take prescription drugs, all packaged in various sizes of containers. They make great water-proof storage containers for spices, matches, coins, etc. Ask a pharmacist to sell you new empty ones.

41ABlCsNeAL.jpg

photo source: https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Prescription-Vials-Bottles-Pack/dp/B00QJAUS6G

Curses foiled again

Always need aluminum foil the roll or small flat box of individual sheetsIMG_1802.jpg

Dollar store stuff whatever packs better

French aluminum foil from a dollar store in central Illinois! Who says we don’t live in a global economy!
:rofl:rofl

BTW, film canisters work great for spices and condiments—you can even buy shaker lids for them.

Best,
DG

I always just buy the pre-cooked chicken in the small cans (like a tuna can) and also take a bag of my favorite pasta. While on the road I'll stop daily at a roadside stand or grocery store and pick up some fresh vegetables. At the campsite, I'll brown the chicken in olive oil, then dump in the sliced vegetables and continue browning. Once it's all heated, I set it aside, boil the pasta, then dump in the chicken and vegetables. Stir it all around and voila, two beers later a nice meal. The heated pasta warms the chicken and vegetables back up since they've been sitting aside.

I carry a Primus stove which has a titanium pot and cover (the cover converts into a fry pan).

Film canisters

French aluminum foil from a dollar store in central Illinois! Who says we don’t live in a global economy!
:rofl:rofl

BTW, film canisters work great for spices and condiments—you can even buy shaker lids for them.

Best,
DG

What do you think the cutoff age for knowing what you are talking about, film canisters :scratch
Than you can tell the good old ones were made of metal and had a screw on lid and hippies kept wacky tobacco in them

What do you think the cutoff age for knowing what you are talking about, film canisters :scratch
Than you can tell the good old ones were made of metal and had a screw on lid and hippies kept wacky tobacco in them

You’d be surprised at how young that age is! Film canisters are now used in elementary and middle schools to construct Alkaline-Seltzer-fueled ROCKETS. So, the kids know what a film canister is—because their teachers use that terminology in the lesson—but they don’t necessarily have a grasp on the concept of “film”. And speaking of Alka-Seltzer, might not be a bad idea to have that and some Tums in your camp cook kit...
Best,
DG

I'm liking the "salad in a bag" option these days, if I am camping and know I'll have a fire I'll add some grilled chicken. Cube the chicken and skewer it with a twig and grill it on the fire. No muss, no fuss.

img_0875.jpg

I was watching a video about some camping cooking recipies, I'll share this one because I want to try it. At the grocery store you can pick up a sausage, can of baby potatoes, a couple eggs, and an onion. Slice the sausage and fry it up with the onions first, set that aside and just gently brown the potato in the pan. Add your sausage and onion, then pour the eggs whipped on top in the pan and cover with some aluminum foil. It's supposed to come out like a big quiche. Full of filling goodness. You can also add spices to taste!

i-X26HsfM.jpg

Helps to have a good cooler.

i-c2wVvps-X3.jpg

Soft boiled eggs are pretty easy, especially when it is raining and you are cooking in the tent vestibule.

i-JpMHSw5-X2.jpg

Do you have any pictures showing how you carry either of those coolers on your bike?

Here's the Orange plastic cooler strapped to my /5 in Yellowstone circa 1980. I still have the same cooler and it fits in the sidecase of my K75 RT.

i-nL9QvkW.jpg

The other cooler is a top-case that came with my Dakar when I bought it used. The top-case mostly sat on a shelf until I converted it to a cooler. Now I find it very useful. :)

i-kw8227j-X3.jpg

i-C7WFFBt-X3.jpg

Here's the Orange plastic cooler strapped to my /5 in Yellowstone circa 1980. I still have the same cooler and it fits in the sidecase of my K75 RT.

i-nL9QvkW.jpg

The other cooler is a top-case that came with my Dakar when I bought it used. The top-case mostly sat on a shelf until I converted it to a cooler. Now I find it very useful. :)

i-kw8227j-X3.jpg

i-C7WFFBt-X3.jpg

Thank you for the photos. :thumb

By the way, where was your intended landing site after launching the /5?

i-nL9QvkW.jpg

i-kw8227j-X3.jpg

i-C7WFFBt-X3.jpg

Switch to light beer might keep that front end on the ground

Not intending to hijack this discussion, but I do have a food question to those of you who do a lot of food prep on the road.

How do you protect your food from animals, especially at night? Some parks where I have camped have warnings about bears and I have heard wolves and coyotes at night. I put whatever food I might have in the top box and place it under a bush at least a hundred yards away from my tent. Even doing this does not give me great reassurance when camping in remote parks.

What is your method of protecting yourself and food from hungry scavengers?

Food protection

Not intending to hijack this discussion, but I do have a food question to those of you who do a lot of food prep on the road.

How do you protect your food from animals, especially at night? Some parks where I have camped have warnings about bears and I have heard wolves and coyotes at night. I put whatever food I might have in the top box and place it under a bush at least a hundred yards away from my tent. Even doing this does not give me great reassurance when camping in remote parks.

What is your method of protecting yourself and food from hungry scavengers?

In America we just shoot anything that moves!:scratch

Other than bears if food is shut in cooler, top box side case etc. not much worry if bears are the problem a length of rope a bag than hang eats in tree 10 feet above ground 10 feet from trunk (might be off on distances check on guidelines) also lots of campgrounds have special lock boxes to keep stuff safe from bears

If I am in an actual camp ground, be it a park, Forest Service, etc. I look at the dumpsters. If they are ordinary dumpsters I don't sweat it much. We never have food in the tent in any event. If they are actual bear-proof dumpsters then all the extra care kicks in. Food goes in a Jesse bag removed from the bike. I figure if a bear beats a Jesse bag up I can still get home. If the bag is on the bike and a bear beats the bike up - maybe not so easy.

I do place the bag away from the tent and away from the bikes. Not quite the hundred yards mentioned in the post above because most campgrounds I find and use are barely 100 yards across in any direction.

I do use a provided food storage box any time one is provided and I do always carry bear attack deterrent spray any time we are camping.

Back