• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The motorcycle camping cookbook

I'm like Paul. I bring my food in some kind of bag, keeping in mind that it could rain so I want to perhaps put it in plastic before putting it in the outer bag. Squirrels and other rodents will eat through the outside of your bag, if you're not careful. So it isn't just bears to be concerned about.

A friend went camping with me last summer for the first time. His plan in bear country was to put his food (like bacon and eggs) into the underseat storage area on his Burgman scooter. A park ranger came by and I asked him his opinion of that strategy. The ranger said the bear will destroy the scooter in the process of getting to the food.

A lot of campgrounds around here have beer proof food containers you can get. I'd use those. If not...put it in a nylon stuff bag and hang it out on a limb...away from the immediate campsite.

Chris

In America we just shoot anything that moves!:scratch
Being a Canadian and not a gun carrier, I carry an air horn instead. :lol

I do always carry bear attack deterrent spray any time we are camping.

I have always have bear spray. A brother-in-law, an avid outdoors guy, tells me that a common mistake when using bear spray is to aim it at it's head. Apparently it is more effective when aimed at the bear's chest and then spray rises.

Fortunately, I've never had to use the horn nor the spray. :dance

Being a Canadian and not a gun carrier, I carry an air horn instead. :lol

I have always have bear spray. A brother-in-law, an avid outdoors guy, tells me that a common mistake when using bear spray is to aim it at it's head. Apparently it is more effective when aimed at the bear's chest and then spray rises.

Fortunately, I've never had to use the horn nor the spray. :dance

...also aiming for a biggest area target just makes sense.

When I first got bear spray - a story in itself - I kidded Voni that I wasn't sure how to use it. I wondered if I was supposed to spray the bear, or spray it on myself because bears don't like pepper on their meat. :scratch:)

Back