• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 National Rally

The grounds are large enough to handle 30,000 members :)
Attendance each day at the fair was around 100,000.

St Paul MOA rally attendance in 2014 was about 5800.

According to Wikipedia, the Des Moines and St Paul fairgrounds proper are about the same size, but Des Moines has a much larger adjoining RV campground of about 160 acres.

Does anyone know how the Des Moines RV area is going to be managed for the upcoming rally?
I believe it is a popular public campground and wonder whether the entire RV area will be restricted to or just available to MOA rally attendees at additional charge.

Anybody heard anything about this? Rally chairs?

St Paul MOA rally attendance in 2014 was about 5800.

According to Wikipedia, the Des Moines and St Paul fairgrounds proper are about the same size, but Des Moines has a much larger adjoining RV campground of about 160 acres.

Does anyone know how the Des Moines RV area is going to be managed for the upcoming rally?
I believe it is a popular public campground and wonder whether the entire RV area will be restricted to or just available to MOA rally attendees at additional charge.

Anybody heard anything about this? Rally chairs?

I too would like info on the RV area .

Well here is the third installment of the "teaser" videos we wanted everyone to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJieRMysnL4

Make your plans now to join us in Des Moines in July!

Lee

The link to the 3rd vid was posted 12/27 by Brian Hinton on the rally video thread:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/show thread.php?90916-2018-Rally-in-Des-Moines-Videos

Does anyone know what sort of access the MOA will have to the RV campground adjoining the 2018 rally site?

The link to the 3rd vid was posted 12/27 by Brian Hinton on the rally video thread:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/show thread.php?90916-2018-Rally-in-Des-Moines-Videos

Does anyone know what sort of access the MOA will have to the RV campground adjoining the 2018 rally site?

Probably too early for full details. PM Brian to see if a chairperson has been picked for the RV camping.
The RV campground will be available to the MOA, but I do not know if it will be available to the public during the rally.

Iirc

During the grounds walk through it was my understanding that the RV usage on site will be exclusively ours, as will the entire site. (There was some cabins on site that are leased on a yearly basis, mostly by staff and fair ground contributors, not available to MOA members... always booked)

I’m sure registration for RV usage will be opened when registration for the rally opens on the website, 1 February. The good news; unless 6000 people all show up wanting RV hook up, there will be no shortage of availability. The need to reserve early for fear of shortages, as has been the case in previous rally locations, is moot.

This rally site is so very replete with amenities, we will be hard pressed to utilize all that is available. I hope I answered the question sufficiently and accurately. If things change, or I was incorrect, in my information I will update accordingly.

Reese, thank you for the information.

I certainly agree the 160 acre RV campground at Des Moines is very nice. With the rolling hills many sites might not be flat enough for big RVs but also might be very attractive to tenters due to the tree shading and abundance of water and power outlets. Given the option, not everyone wants to camp as close to the rally action as possible. Du Quoin and Gillette were good examples of rally sites that allowed tenters to spread out and enjoy a bit of privacy if desired.

W.G., given the population density it really depends on how much time you've got. Most non-divided highways will have you riding through stop-sign and traffic lights at each town. I've looked at routes that are not divided highways and all seem to be a lot slower, just as straight, and possibly more congested. :-(

I'm leaving the Bluenose Rally (Annapolis Vally, Nova Scotia) on Sunday afternoon and meeting up with a friend in Etobicoke, to ride to Des Moines for arriving late afternoon on the 11th. So that has me doing NS to west Toronto in 1.5-days (8th and 9th) and leaves me 2-days for Toronto to Des Moines (10th and 11th).

We'll need to be doing semi-secondary highways to make it there in 2-days with a quick stop to see the Frank Lloyd Wright house in Cedar Rock State Park.

Leave Etobicoke Tuesday morning (10th). 401 to Kitchener, then cross-country to Grand Bend and down along Lake Huron on 21 and 7 to Sarnia. Then 69, 96 and 196 to the shores of Lake Michigan and on to 94 and 294 to overnight south-west of Chicago and meet up with some riders there. That's 8.5 hours of riding for Tuesday. The next day (11th) is 88, 30, 52, to 20 and an hour+ stop at Cedar Rock State Park (Independence, IA) then 20 to I-35 to our hotel for the Rally (Hampton Inn & Suites Ankeny). That is 6hrs 40min riding plus the hour+ for the Frank Lloyd Wright house.

So I'd think that doing it without any divided highways would be a solid 3-days.

To Des Moines

Any suggestions traveling from Toronto to Des Moines with out travelling on major highways?

W.G.

Cut straight across on the 402 through Sarnia, head straight across Michigan to Ludington. Stay the night and the next morning get on the SS badger for a memorable four hour ride across Lake Michigan to Maitowac Wisconsin. Wind your way down to Des Moines from there. The boat ride is grand!

Rally Information

Rally plans are moving along smoothly. Des Moines and Iowa in general gets a bad wrap from some motorcycle enthusiasts, "nothing but long straight roads" is just not true! Des Moines is a really progressive city with a vibrant downtown area full of great restaurants, art, coffee shops and night life. The largest farmer's market in the world and just outside of town opens up into beautiful rolling farm country in every direction. The local riding community is very excited to show MOA members their favorite rides thru the State. The rally chair is working on some great vendors, food, seminars and entertainment.

The Iowa State Fairgrounds are the largest we have ever had, plenty of shaded areas for camping in the grass, more full hook up RV spaces than we can ever use, permanent shower facilities. A huge new air conditioned building that will hold ALL indoor vendors and most seminars in ONE cool building. All outside vendors gathered just outside the building.
Even an on site movie theater!
The average July temperatures are lows in the 70s and highs in the mid 80s. We should have one of the best opportunities to gather in a beautiful part of the country and enjoy all things rally!
Make your plans now to attend and I will see you there!

This came out about this time last year, the 2019 rally is a month earlier so I assume I missed info in November?

Back