• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2018 National Rally

Rally plans are moving along smoothly. Des Moines and Iowa in general gets a bad wrap from some motorcycle enthusiasts, "nothing but long straight roads" is just not true! Des Moines is a really progressive city with a vibrant downtown area full of great restaurants, art, coffee shops and night life. The largest farmer's market in the world and just outside of town opens up into beautiful rolling farm country in every direction. The local riding community is very excited to show MOA members their favorite rides thru the State. The rally chair is working on some great vendors, food, seminars and entertainment.

The Iowa State Fairgrounds are the largest we have ever had, plenty of shaded areas for camping in the grass, more full hook up RV spaces than we can ever use, permanent shower facilities. A huge new air conditioned building that will hold ALL indoor vendors and most seminars in ONE cool building. All outside vendors gathered just outside the building.
Even an on site movie theater!
The average July temperatures are lows in the 70s and highs in the mid 80s. We should have one of the best opportunities to gather in a beautiful part of the country and enjoy all things rally!
Make your plans now to attend and I will see you there!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uL1J4PuvYw0" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

couldn't find this video here so I thought to post it.

Nice Ian :thumb
Actually a pretty nice video. Actually sad that the organizers didn’t think to put it up here on the forum :dunno
OM

Rally videos

Thank you for beating us to it! We just finished this 2nd. "Teaser" video yesterday! Please share it with all interested parties and be on the lookout for more information and cool videos soon!

Nice video but where are all the old men camping in the mud?
Also, was this a volunteer effort or a contract job for the MOA?

It would be nice to find a bunch of those folks at the rally. As is, it'll likely be a group of old folks whining about why the next guy isn't doing something right or somehow disrespecting this, that or the other thing.

Funny. I never see that.

I see lots of young sMiles everywhere.

Some in rather old bodies, but the spirit shines through.

Voni
still sMiling

Funny. I never see that.

I see lots of young sMiles everywhere.

Some in rather old bodies, but the spirit shines through.

Voni
still sMiling

OK.......I'll concede to being non-correct. My comment was aimed at the Forum.

However, be it at the rally or on this forum, younger folks are definitely needed......

Last edited:
It would be nice to find a bunch of those folks at the rally.

fwiw, the video shows some of the people that will be *managing* the rally.

As is, it'll likely be a group of old folks whining about why the next guy isn't doing something right or somehow disrespecting this, that or the other thing.

:gerg

:ha

fwiw, the video shows some of the people that will be *managing* the rally.

:gerg

:ha

And, if you consider the folks that managed / led the Hamburg rally, they appeared to be younger than the average attendee... Which is excellent.

I'm just thinking about the comments in the last meeting minutes where one of the directors was focusing on putting forward a bright, smiling faces to attract new members. He was absolutely correct.

GREAT Choice!

I've missed two nationals since 1990. The worst one was still above average. If the Board ever decides to pick one site and make it permanent, I predict it will be Des Moines. Ten out of ten in every category. Fredericksburg TX was mild and Spokane was hot. Flagstaff, in the desert, was chilly in the rain. Maybe we need a weather committee.

Rally Video "Teaser"

After careful consideration the rally chairs pitched the idea of using some small "teaser" videos in 2017 as plans for 2018 progress. They are intended to reach out to a diverse range of interested parties, it is no secret that there is a concerted effort to ensure the stability of the organization thru social media and that is primarily a younger market, hence the approach to these "teaser" videos. Now don't you feel younger after just watching it? No? Well watch it again! Comment on it, share it, tweet about it, whatever you want to do. But SPREAD the word. Be assured there will be plenty of information forthcoming about all things rally as soon as they solidify. For now please help social media do it's thing by adding "bits" for "bots" to crawl over! It works best when everybody participates! Positive energy will spread like peanut butter, smooth and sticky!

Teaser #1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8mCy-Y3-sc

Teaser #2https://youtu.be/uL1J4PuvYw0

Lee

You are doing something right! I was sitting in my easy chair minding my own business watching these videos and my wife came up from behind and asked why I was watching a video full of good looking ladies. It didn't get better when I said it was for the rally next summer which she has not signed off on yet. I will have do my forum browsing in the garage from now on.:blush

I shall share this with all my motorcycling friends be they on Beemers or not. Keep up the great work. I call this a classic case of looking where we want to go instead of staring at the outside of the curve.:dance

Rally Videos

Thank you Ken! Tell your wife to come on and enjoy the Journey! Don't worry we are in editing for the next video and let me tell you it is full of RIDING!
Wait for it to hit next week!
We are planning a great event and hoping you will help spread the word..

Lee

Seek advice on tent camping at the fairgrounds from members who've been there before.

Does one have to preregister to get a spot? Just show up?

I'd like to pitch the tent, too expensive for the motels that weekend for my blood.

Anyone I need to contact now to reserve a spot for the tent and bike next to it? Security leaving things in the tent? etc?

Thanks in advance, this will be my first rally I'm attending, go easy on an old guy that's a newb here and to bmwoa.

Brownie

Seek advice on tent camping at the fairgrounds from members who've been there before.

Does one have to preregister to get a spot? Just show up?

I'd like to pitch the tent, too expensive for the motels that weekend for my blood.

Anyone I need to contact now to reserve a spot for the tent and bike next to it? Security leaving things in the tent? etc?

Thanks in advance, this will be my first rally I'm attending, go easy on an old guy that's a newb here and to bmwoa.

Brownie

Registration will open online in February or so. Preregister and save several bucks. Then show up. Or you can wait and register when you arrive at the rally. Go through the registration tent to check in and then go find a spot and set up camp. That is all it takes to camp - no special anything unless you have an RV. I have not seen/heard how to register for an RV spot but believe there are lots of them.

The site is generally secure from outside folks and most folks don't sweat leaving stuff in the tent.

And.... individual camping spaces are first come, first served, and predictably the more desirable spots (shade) go quickly. Typically members who volunteer to help with set-up are allowed in a day or two before the grounds open for masses.

Thanks to both replies, I'll preregister, would like to have a good spot for the tent so may come in a day earlier than I'd planned to arrive. :thumb

Back