• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removing heated grips 2008 RT

temesvar

For few reasons, I intend to remove the heated grips on my RT.
First , I don't like the thicker, bigger than average bike, grip.
Would like to install some stylish Rizoma grips. And I don't
find the need for heated grips anyways. A good pair of gloves
will solve the problem. I need the heat on the outside of my
hand. The inside is fine!
I didn't take the throttle apart yet, was just wondering if it
can be replaced with a standard size 22 mm sleeve?

BMW made many different RTs. It would help if you posted this in the appropriate sub- forum (Oilhead, Hexhead, Wethead, Kbike, etc.) along with the model year. That way you will get an answer that applies to YOUR bike.

If you post that info here, the appropriate moderator can move it for you.

:dance:dance:dance

Didn't think the model bike matters. Thought other model would fit.
Have to take the damn think apart and take a look at it.
But so far the weather is to good not to enjoy it!

Removing them may affect the resale value but do what suits you. You can remove them easy enough but not sure you'll get the results you're looking for. The outer diameter of my non-heated grips was very close to, if not the same, as my factory heated grips. To some degree this is limited by the handlebar diameter. Regarding different models, BMW has been making RT's since the early eighties, airheads, bricks, oilheads and cam heads. Believe it or not there's a difference. Good luck with your project. If you remove them cleanly, you may be able to resell them.

FWIW on this forum there are likely significantly way more people posting that find BMW handgrips too small rather than too large ... see "grip puppies."

You really ought to just leave this alone.

On most BMW, the throttle grip rubber and heat element is likely not separable from the throttle tube without major destructive effort, possibly leading to the need for a replacement tube. I suppose a dealer could order a new non-heated tube for you.

FWIW on this forum there are likely significantly way more people posting that find BMW handgrips too small rather than too large ... see "grip puppies."

You really ought to just leave this alone.

On most BMW, the throttle grip rubber and heat element is likely not separable from the throttle tube without major destructive effort, possibly leading to the need for a replacement tube. I suppose a dealer could order a new non-heated tube for you.
It makes no difference to me what other people like, if I don't! And I intend to change on the bike what I don't like, or I find les than comfortable for my needs.
In this particular case, the heated and larger grips: I just don't care for heat in my grips, and am sure many disagree with me. But the larger grip
I find not only uncomfortable, but at times unsafe! And that is why I will change it.
I posted this thread hoping to get some positive information , and advise, before I take the assembly apart. But thank you for your opinion!

It makes no difference to me what other people like, if I don't! And I intend to change on the bike what I don't like, or I find les than comfortable for my needs.
In this particular case, the heated and larger grips: I just don't care for heat in my grips, and am sure many disagree with me. But the larger grip
I find not only uncomfortable, but at times unsafe! And that is why I will change it.
I posted this thread hoping to get some positive information , and advise, before I take the assembly apart. But thank you for your opinion!

I guess we've been told....

Now, you still haven't told us which year RT you have but I just went out to my garage and measured the heated grips on my two BMWs, and non-heated grips on two Ducatis and a Honda. The heated grips on the BMWs were the narrowest/thinnest,smallest of all of them. They were, respectively, 31mm, 31.5mm, 32.3mm and 32mm in diameter. I have what I'd term "normal" size hands and, surprisinglyly, I never feel "unsafe" riding the Ducatis or Honda. Lastly, are you sure the Rizoma grips will have a smaller OD than the originals?

But here's a hint for you: Measure twice, cut once. Good luck with your project.

I guess we've been told....

Now, you still haven't told us which year RT you have but I just went out to my garage and measured the heated grips on my two BMWs, and non-heated grips on two Ducatis and a Honda. The heated grips on the BMWs were the narrowest/thinnest,smallest of all of them. They were, respectively, 31mm, 31.5mm, 32.3mm and 32mm in diameter. I have what I'd term "normal" size hands and, surprisinglyly, I never feel "unsafe" riding the Ducatis or Honda. Lastly, are you sure the Rizoma grips will have a smaller OD than the originals?

But here's a hint for you: Measure twice, cut once. Good luck with your project.

You are right, forgot to mention the bike is a 2008. And never had a bike with a bigger grip.
The rubber is rather worn, so I covered them with a set of grip puppies. The OD is about 40mm.
Your BMW's must be newer, therefore thinner grips. The idea is, I would like to be able to change
grip rubber with any after market grip, that I would find more stylish. Is that to much to ask for?
Thanks for your hint! I work as a tool maker for over 40 years, and i appreciate it!

If you get to installing new grips, I like to use compressed air as an aid. Probably a YouTube video on it.
OM

For what it is worth

I had a grip tear on my '03 RT on the throttle side. Was advised unofficially by the dealership that I could buy a replacement non heated grip if I was careful removing the old grip. I understand you don't care about the heat, I am just telling you what I did and why. Took a razor blade and carefully went down the length of the grip and I was able to remove it without damaging the heater. I just had to be careful to not cut too deep. You could do that to see what you have underneath, then take it from there.

I had a grip tear on my '03 RT on the throttle side. Was advised unofficially by the dealership that I could buy a replacement non heated grip if I was careful removing the old grip. I understand you don't care about the heat, I am just telling you what I did and why. Took a razor blade and carefully went down the length of the grip and I was able to remove it without damaging the heater. I just had to be careful to not cut too deep. You could do that to see what you have underneath, then take it from there.

That works on pre-06 or 07 models, the next generation has element embedded and you have to replace assembly. My 05 RT still was using old style but both our 07's have smaller hard grips.

61317727067_3_B.jpeg

On those older bikes,two throttle side rubbers for non heated models are used and can be replaced if careful as the foil element is exposed. The visual difference is concentric rings on earlier models and somewhat of a square hard surface on the newest version.

The heated throttle side runs about $170 US as I just ordered one for a 09 GSA.

I' ll measure the throttle side tube some time today, but think it is as small as you can go with bar diameter.The part is same on Hexhead models
After reading Grip Puppies were added, I agree it makes the grips too large for many users.

Last edited:
If you get to installing new grips, I like to use compressed air as an aid. Probably a YouTube video on it.
OM

Never thought of it, and yes, is a great way to install new grips.
I will sure give it a try first chance I have. I had success so
far by soaking them in very hot water for like a minute or two.
Grips would become soft enough to slide them on.
Thanks, OM!!

Thanks for the suggestion, anyways! As you see, my bike model is slightly different.

That works on pre-06 or 07 models, the next generation has element embedded and you have to replace assembly. My 05 RT still was using old style but both our 07's have smaller hard grips.

View attachment 65319

On those older bikes,two throttle side rubbers for non heated models are used and can be replaced if careful as the foil element is exposed. The visual difference is concentric rings on earlier models and somewhat of a square hard surface on the newest version.

The heated throttle side runs about $110 US as I just ordered one for a 09 GSA

I' ll measure the throttle side tube some time today, but think it is as small as you can go with bar diameter.The part is same on Hexhead models
After reading Grip Puppies were added, I agree it makes the grips too large for many users.

Hi Steve!
For what I understand, the throttle side has the cruise control, and that makes thinks a bit more complicated.
But am sure will find a way around it! Sure would like to make it interchangeable with any aftermarket grips are out there.
Since the heaters work, I don't want to just destroy them, so will have look for some used grips with C/C just for the sleeve.
Thanks!

After looking at a few models out in shop, need to correct myself.:dunno

Also after a PM, will add model and year to title and move this to Hexheads shortly:wave

Have a 2013 RT here and it still has the concentric ringed grips that are tapered outside to inside(22-35mm on new) which visually are same as the replaceable ones from pre-Hexhead/Wedge K's and on my 05RT. I measured a couple of 11XX models and they are same as the 2013 RT.

The RT seems to be only model as the R,S, and GSA, K Wedges and a F800GT here all have the harder non-tapered versions which all measure 30mm at non worn areas straight across. The inside diameter of the throttle side tube is a scunch over 22mm and the bar diameter is 22mm on a GSA

I used my digital calipers, but with dead battery had to old school read the scale...close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades:D

I don't think cruise control alters part numbers on the earlier Hexheads as the cruise isn't part of grips wiring.

After looking at a few models out in shop, need to correct myself.:dunno

Also after a PM, will add model and year to title and move this to Hexheads shortly:wave

Have a 2013 RT here and it still has the concentric ringed grips that are tapered outside to inside(22-35mm on new) which visually are same as the replaceable ones from pre-Hexhead/Wedge K's and on my 05RT. I measured a couple of 11XX models and they are same as the 2013 RT.

The RT seems to be only model as the R,S, and GSA, K Wedges and a F800GT here all have the harder non-tapered versions which all measure 30mm at non worn areas straight across. The inside diameter of the throttle side tube is a scunch over 22mm and the bar diameter is 22mm on a GSA

I used my digital calipers, but with dead battery had to old school read the scale...close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades:D

I don't think cruise control alters part numbers on the earlier Hexheads as the cruise isn't part of grips wiring.

Thanks for your effort, Steve!
I never took the grips apart to know what can and can not be done. Just had this wish to improve/alter to my need, and before hand wanted to know if that is even possible. That is why I posted this thread. Obviously, didn't even imagine there could be such a big difference between same brand motorcycles. Most bikes in the world have same standard. Also, was wondering if someone else has already done this mod and may chip in.
As for digital calipers...I never liked them, other than when they first surfaced! Are delicate, and can jump any size. Are great in a office, clean environment, but if you do the work your self, some dirt is involved . At least the dial caliper jumps some .020 at a time.

No problem:wave

I also measured a KTM 390 and 690 and they both look smaller, but were 30mm as well.

And my brother the machinist also chuckled at my digital when I handed it to him some time back. It was one of those free with a tool purchase things and I don't use one really often enough to upgrade. With the scale, just ignore the LCD blank screen and get my glasses!

Never thought of it, and yes, is a great way to install new grips.
I will sure give it a try first chance I have. I had success so
far by soaking them in very hot water for like a minute or two.
Grips would become soft enough to slide them on.
Thanks, OM!!

Not that you need too many more opinions - my all-time favorite grips are those by Randakk's cycle shack (no idea if they will fit or not). I like to use rubbing alcohol to install them - makes for a great lubricant that easily evaporates after install. Some people like hairspray too, but I found that it would be too tacky too fast. I've never been good with the compressed air trick.

I'll be watching your thread, as I have an 07 that will need new grips someday (but being in MN, I'd like to retain the heat)

Back