Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Removing heated grips 2008 RT

After looking at a few models out in shop, need to correct myself.

Also after a PM, will add model and year to title and move this to Hexheads shortly

Have a 2013 RT here and it still has the concentric ringed grips that are tapered outside to inside(22-35mm on new) which visually are same as the replaceable ones from pre-Hexhead/Wedge K's and on my 05RT. I measured a couple of 11XX models and they are same as the 2013 RT.

The RT seems to be only model as the R,S, and GSA, K Wedges and a F800GT here all have the harder non-tapered versions which all measure 30mm at non worn areas straight across. The inside diameter of the throttle side tube is a scunch over 22mm and the bar diameter is 22mm on a GSA

I used my digital calipers, but with dead battery had to old school read the scale...close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades

I don't think cruise control alters part numbers on the earlier Hexheads as the cruise isn't part of grips wiring.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    After looking at a few models out in shop, need to correct myself.

Also after a PM, will add model and year to title and move this to Hexheads shortly

Have a 2013 RT here and it still has the concentric ringed grips that are tapered outside to inside(22-35mm on new) which visually are same as the replaceable ones from pre-Hexhead/Wedge K's and on my 05RT. I measured a couple of 11XX models and they are same as the 2013 RT.

The RT seems to be only model as the R,S, and GSA, K Wedges and a F800GT here all have the harder non-tapered versions which all measure 30mm at non worn areas straight across. The inside diameter of the throttle side tube is a scunch over 22mm and the bar diameter is 22mm on a GSA

I used my digital calipers, but with dead battery had to old school read the scale...close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades

I don't think cruise control alters part numbers on the earlier Hexheads as the cruise isn't part of grips wiring.
    Thanks for your effort, Steve!
    I never took the grips apart to know what can and can not be done. Just had this wish to improve/alter to my need, and before hand wanted to know if that is even possible. That is why I posted this thread. Obviously, didn't even imagine there could be such a big difference between same brand motorcycles. Most bikes in the world have same standard. Also, was wondering if someone else has already done this mod and may chip in.
    As for digital calipers...I never liked them, other than when they first surfaced! Are delicate, and can jump any size. Are great in a office, clean environment, but if you do the work your self, some dirt is involved . At least the dial caliper jumps some .020 at a time.

No problem

I also measured a KTM 390 and 690 and they both look smaller, but were 30mm as well.

And my brother the machinist also chuckled at my digital when I handed it to him some time back. It was one of those free with a tool purchase things and I don't use one really often enough to upgrade. With the scale, just ignore the LCD blank screen and get my glasses!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by temesvar View Post
    Never thought of it, and yes, is a great way to install new grips.
    I will sure give it a try first chance I have. I had success so
    far by soaking them in very hot water for like a minute or two.
    Grips would become soft enough to slide them on.
    Thanks, OM!!
    Not that you need too many more opinions - my all-time favorite grips are those by Randakk's cycle shack (no idea if they will fit or not). I like to use rubbing alcohol to install them - makes for a great lubricant that easily evaporates after install. Some people like hairspray too, but I found that it would be too tacky too fast. I've never been good with the compressed air trick.

I'll be watching your thread, as I have an 07 that will need new grips someday (but being in MN, I'd like to retain the heat)
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by d martin View Post
    I changed the BMW OEM ringed style grips on a 04 RT to the following Progrip as I didn't like grip thickness (OD) that changed along the grip. Many different options of ID size and composition are available.

https://www.progrip.com/shop-en/moto.../724-road.html
    They look good, will keep them in mind!
    Thanks!