Thread: Anamosa, Iowa

Anamosa, Iowa

Anamosa, Iowa is the home of the "National Motorcycle Museum". And a fine one it is too !
    It is ENE of Cedar Rapids.

400 + bikes. Great collection.

If you are anywhere near while headed to Des Moines and don't go, I would hope you had a pretty good excuse or a note from your mother.

Charlie

p.s. I never thought that in my lifetime I would get to see the real "Roadog". I guess that it was real as who would copy such a thing ? Hats off to Bill Gelbke.
    Last edited by 72r60/7; 12-06-2017 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Spelling

Its a great place. I was there some time ago and was really impressed.
    I think they have some sort of admission discount for MOA members.
    ďFate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Agreed, nice place to visit. field of dreams is within striking distance too. Lookin forward to it.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Added as a waypoint for my rally trip.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1150RT
    My Smugmug

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    Thanks. Added as a waypoint for my rally trip.
    While Iowa is just ................... well, it's Iowa, here's 2 more possible way points to investigate.

If fairground food doesn't top the list for lunch some day, travel north and then east to Marshalltown, and sample the legendary MaidRite. Just not at 12 noon - I found it quite busy then with the locals. There is also a renovated movieplex to the rear (east side) of what looks like a failing strip mall on the main drag. Take in a flick to break up monotony.

If you're interested in the history of a bygone era, consider Dubuque and the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium . Need a couple of hours to do it justice, but worth it.
    Last edited by greenwald; 12-04-2017 at 02:52 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

The list is growing...
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1150RT
    My Smugmug

Rally Plans

Rally plans are moving along smoothly. Des Moines and Iowa in general gets a bad wrap from some motorcycle enthusiasts, "nothing but long straight roads" is just not true! Des Moines is a really progressive city with a vibrant downtown area full of great restaurants, art, coffee shops and night life. The largest farmer's market in the world and just outside of town opens up into beautiful rolling farm country in every direction. The local riding community is very excited to show MOA members their favorite rides thru the State. The rally chair is working on some great vendors, food, seminars and entertainment.

The Iowa State Fairgrounds are the largest we have ever had, plenty of shaded areas for camping in the grass, more full hook up RV spaces than we can ever use, permanent shower facilities. A huge new air conditioned building that will hold ALL indoor vendors and most seminars in ONE cool building. All outside vendors gathered just outside the building.
    Even an on site movie theater!
    The average July temperatures are lows in the 70s and highs in the mid 80s. We should have one of the best opportunities to gather in a beautiful part of the country and enjoy all things rally!
    Make your plans now to attend and I will see you there!

Lee Harrelson #145612

AMleeharrelson

.............just outside of town opens up into beautiful rolling farm country in every direction. The local riding community is very excited to show MOA members their favorite rides thru the State...................

Hope the locals will start a thread with State routes (both medium and small) for all directions (including cities and towns for easy route reference) for meandering into and out of the Des Moines destination. I want to see the the iconic Iowa. Even if it is only iconic to me.

Leaving Anamoso and headed East on hilly roads and open small farm country was delightful to this Easterner. It was a fine morning. Don't even want to admit to my pronunciation of Maquoketa.

The views, in my East, seem hemmed in by trees most of the year. There, it seemed to be a different sort of open. Even different than the open of the West.

Charlie
    Last edited by 72r60/7; 12-06-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 72r60/7 View Post
    Don't even want to admit to my pronunciation of Maquoketa.

Charlie
    Muh coke uh tuh
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Question

Anyone know of nice camping in the in the E.NE. area of Iowa, somewhat near the Museum and/or Field of Dreams vicinity?
    I'm thinking this region would make for a quick jaunt into the Rally site on the chosen arrival day.
    Thanks in advance...

"travel'n" John

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Anamosa

Didn't she just get fired from the White House? Think she will be a seminar presenter at the Rally?

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

There use to be a prison not far from museum....maybe MOA can arrange discount tickets for a group visit?
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    There use to be a prison not far from museum...
    Still there on the west side of town.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Prison Museum

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Still there on the west side of town.
    The prison museum is an interesting visit and clearly reminds one why being on the outside is best. Located right north of the grounds of the prison.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    Anyone know of nice camping in the in the E.NE. area of Iowa, somewhat near the Museum and/or Field of Dreams vicinity?
    I'm thinking this region would make for a quick jaunt into the Rally site on the chosen arrival day.
    Thanks in advance...

"travel'n" John
    I have stayed here a few times and always enjoyed my stay. Nice clean spots and you can rent one of the two cabins if that serves you better.

https://www.mycountyparks.com/County...tral-Park.aspx
    Darrell