Thread: 2018 GTL mirror removal?

2018 GTL mirror removal?

Does anyone know how remove/replace the right side mirror on a 2018 K16GTL?

Welcome to the forum

I suppose there is a story here?

Here is a parts fiche shot showing fastener location...how you get to it, no clue without seeing one.

B0009255.png
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

PM sent.

(I think. mountainrider, let me know if it does not show up)
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Thanks Steve. Looks like I will have to remove some instrument panel parts to get in there.

Of course there is a story. I am used to the stationary weight of the K16 by myself, but it is quite different and not at all forgiving with a passenger on the back. With two of us on I righted the bike off the side stand and went just a wee bit past center. Before I knew it the bike was beyond the point of no return and down it went! The guards protected everything except the mirror, which busted apart in several pieces. We went on a 140 mile ride through some Colorado canyons after that without incident, but it was an expensive start to the afternoon. The BMW parts are outrageously priced!
    Glen
    2018 K1600GTL

Thanks Larry. That looks like an earlier model, but confirms my suspicion that removing the right side panel trim and speaker is the way into that area.
    Glen
    2018 K1600GTL

The drawing shows what I think is a GT, but the procedure should be the same. At least, it's what the RepROM showed for the GTL.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I had copied that fiche from the GTL model...but not familiar enough to know the difference from a GT

Sorry about the drop...it happens to many (all) of us at some point and just like helmets, when new

The LT mirrors , and various RT's used to pop off when hitting potholes or uneven RR crossings...I picked up a few following buds thru the years

And yes, prices seem over the top on a lot of parts. I was ordering some small but very pricey items earlier.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

The mirror stayed on very well, at least the parts that didnít shatter on impact. I picked up the plastic pieces before taking off, and the broken glass hanging by a thread fell off 5 miles later. All that remains is a metal frame (also cracked) and small amount of plastic until my parts order comes in.
    Glen
    2018 K1600GTL

If the '18 is the same as the earlier K's you twist the mirror to expose screws to unbolt the base.

The fiche pic makes it look like this is true.

I can check tomorrow on my '18

I just checked the 18.

The mirror does swivel to reveal the screws used to remove the assembly from the bike.
    Paul
    2011 K1600GTL - Gone
    2018 K1600GTL - Arrived

Thanks Paul. That is odd... the only screw exposed when I swivel mine holds the plastic trim in place. I got to the mounting screws by removing the speaker grill and speaker. Once exposed I removed the ground wire, mounting screws and antenna. The job was fairly easy and didn't take very long.
    Glen
    2018 K1600GTL

Good stuff.

I forgot the entire disassembly method.

My right mirror broke after a tip over on the Klondike highway in the Yukon Territory. I had a flat tire, pulled over, the rear tire went poof and the bike went over breaking the mirror.

You are right, of course, I now remember removing the speaker cover.
    Paul
    2011 K1600GTL - Gone
    2018 K1600GTL - Arrived

Wow. I didnít think a rear tire could cause a tip over, but I suppose the side stand angle would change dramatically. That makes for a very expensive flat!
    Glen
    2018 K1600GTL

The crown of the road was pretty steep. After it fell over we got it to the other side of the road so the angle was fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul
    2011 K1600GTL - Gone
    2018 K1600GTL - Arrived