• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 GTL mirror removal?

Welcome to the forum:wave

I suppose there is a story here?

Here is a parts fiche shot showing fastener location...how you get to it, no clue without seeing one.

B0009255.png

Thanks Steve. Looks like I will have to remove some instrument panel parts to get in there.

Of course there is a story. I am used to the stationary weight of the K16 by myself, but it is quite different and not at all forgiving with a passenger on the back. With two of us on I righted the bike off the side stand and went just a wee bit past center. Before I knew it the bike was beyond the point of no return and down it went! The guards protected everything except the mirror, which busted apart in several pieces. We went on a 140 mile ride through some Colorado canyons after that without incident, but it was an expensive start to the afternoon. The BMW parts are outrageously priced!

Thanks Larry. That looks like an earlier model, but confirms my suspicion that removing the right side panel trim and speaker is the way into that area.

The drawing shows what I think is a GT, but the procedure should be the same. At least, it's what the RepROM showed for the GTL.

I had copied that fiche from the GTL model...but not familiar enough to know the difference from a GT:scratch

Sorry about the drop...it happens to many (all) of us at some point and just like helmets, when new:banghead

The LT mirrors , and various RT's used to pop off when hitting potholes or uneven RR crossings...I picked up a few following buds thru the years

And yes, prices seem over the top on a lot of parts. I was ordering some small but very pricey items earlier.

The mirror stayed on very well, at least the parts that didn’t shatter on impact. I picked up the plastic pieces before taking off, and the broken glass hanging by a thread fell off 5 miles later. All that remains is a metal frame (also cracked) and small amount of plastic until my parts order comes in. :)

If the '18 is the same as the earlier K's you twist the mirror to expose screws to unbolt the base.

The fiche pic makes it look like this is true.

I can check tomorrow on my '18

Thanks Paul. That is odd... the only screw exposed when I swivel mine holds the plastic trim in place. I got to the mounting screws by removing the speaker grill and speaker. Once exposed I removed the ground wire, mounting screws and antenna. The job was fairly easy and didn't take very long.

Good stuff.

I forgot the entire disassembly method.

My right mirror broke after a tip over on the Klondike highway in the Yukon Territory. I had a flat tire, pulled over, the rear tire went poof and the bike went over breaking the mirror.

You are right, of course, I now remember removing the speaker cover.

Wow. I didn’t think a rear tire could cause a tip over, but I suppose the side stand angle would change dramatically. That makes for a very expensive flat!

The crown of the road was pretty steep. After it fell over we got it to the other side of the road so the angle was fine.

Attachments

• P8010178.jpg
    P8010178.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 89
Back