• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

R60/6 new exhaust choices

henri2015

Hi there,
Found what appears like decent quality full exhaust system listed on ebay but lists all the airheads that it will fit but excludes the r60/5 /6 series. I was under the impression that they were all the same. Do you suppose this is just a oversight? Any info is appreciated.
Thank you
Dean

Welcome to the forum and the MOA! The part number for the right header is 18111230433 and according to RealOEM, it fits a wide range of models from 1970 to 1986....same with the mufflers. If we could see the specific ad or sellers info, we might be able to see if there's something that's not right about the parts and/or the offering.

It looks pretty much stock to my eye. I compared the part numbers for an R90/6 and an R60/6 and they are the same for the headers and the mufflers. I can't imagine what the issue is. Have you posed a question to seller as to why he left off the R60/5 and /6 from the application list?

Heard back from the seller, response was it will not fit a r60/6 but the descriprion says it will fit virtually every other r series model? Oh well.

That's pretty weird. When the part number is the same for all of the models and then this offering doesn't fit the R60/6? Makes you wonder about the quality of the product. Did you tell him that the OEM part numbers are the same for all models??

Muffler issue

I'm at a point where I don't understand what the person with the mufflers is really saying. My BS meter may just be pegging out! Unless you have an R100 with 40mm pipes, all the mufflers fit all the twin exhaust systems from 1985 back to 1970 with the exception of the R65. So perhaps this person is confusing R60 With R65. Seen this before and I hope that is the case here.

I guess what I would like to find is a complete set of nice used oem exhaust. Maybe from someone doing a concourse resto.

Exhaustive research

I've checked with my secret sources and found out that the manufacturer is Emgo. I have experience with their mufflers. They are shipped with sleeves in the mufflers to size down from 40 to 38mm so they can actually fit an R100 with 40mm pipes. They don't fit as perfectly as the OEM stuff but are certainly presentable for a daily rider and look stock from 10 feet away. They sound just a bit louder than stock but not obnoxious in any way. As to the type of baffles I do not know ans haven't had the chance to cut one open to check.

If your /5 is a short-wheelbase model, the mufflers will fit, but may look a little too long for the bike (because they are).

If you want to spend pretty good money on a very nice stainless steel system, Rubber Chicken Racing Garage (Tom Cutter) is running a pretty decent sale on Keihan systems. Not a bad time to buy these British-made pieces, given the relative frailty of the pound.

If your /5 is a short-wheelbase model, the mufflers will fit, but may look a little too long for the bike (because they are).

If you want to spend pretty good money on a very nice stainless steel system, Rubber Chicken Racing Garage (Tom Cutter) is running a pretty decent sale on Keihan systems. Not a bad time to buy these British-made pieces, given the relative frailty of the pound.

I thought it was an R60/6

I evidently overlooked the thread title, and misread the /5 reference in OP's first note as applying to his 600cc bike.

Back