• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1st Time BMW Owner

Goldwing2500

Greeting to My Fellow BMW Owners! After 44 years of riding Japanese and American bikes, I finally pulled the trigger on the one bike that I've always wanted, the BMW GS 1200 GS Adventure. Flying out next week to take delivery of a 2012 model and will ride it back from Northern Virginia back home to the Atlanta Georgia area. Looking forward to interacting with all the GS folks on this website and learning as much about this beast as possible.

Some background on me. I am retired Army as of 23 years ago as an Airborne Infantryman, and just retired from my police motor officer job at Georgia Tech a year and a half ago where I ran traffic in downtown Atlanta with the Metro Atlanta Traffic Enforcement Team. My bike of choice most of the 10 years there was the BMW GS 650 and although we had Harleys at the Department, folks would always as me why didn't I ride the Harleys. My response was simple, "Crackheads don't run in straight lines". Member of the GWRRA and Iron Butt Association and average 20,000 miles a year. Did Alaska in 2012 and Belize this past February. Will do the IBA UCC in June of 2018 and currently own a 2002 GL1800 Goldwing with 190,000 on it of which I've put 154,000 on it over the last 9 years and a 1993 Harley FLHTP with 46,000 miles on it that started throwing oil last month on the return ride from the Dragon and stopped running. It's out the door so if you have anybody that can fix it, it's yours for $5,000 American.

Immediate objective at the moment is to get the bike back home safely and start learning BMW speak and to hook up with other GS owners who can school me on keeping my bike in the best condition as possible. Looking forward to your responses and attending BMW events whenever and wherever I can fit it in my schedule. I have a feeling this is gonna be a totally different world.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have some two-wheel miles under you so, you're in great shape there. How was your experience testing the GSA? Must have really made an impression!! Hope the weather supports you with your trip. Good luck!

Virginia to Georgia in December

I would definitely take your heated jacket and gloves, the can bus system will support the driver's heated gear. If you don't have one, order/get the din connector for the GS to hook the gear up to power.

That is a 2012 GSA next to me in the pic, on a Blue Ridge Parkway run in October of last year.

georgeRun1.jpg

Welcome aboard and thanks for your service! I hope you'll join your new family at the rally in Des Moines next July.

I also have a camhead GSA. Two of them, actually. My 2012 is set up for our dirt roads and sees a lot of use as we only have one paved road in town. The 2010 is linked to a Hannigan sidecar and is used for longer trips where I need my service dog at my side.

Rallies are great places to learn BMW Speak. :)

Semper fi!
Pete and Tulliver

TullyRally.jpg

Airborn Infantry Ranger turned hello pilot

Welcome to the club. Your among friends here. I’m just a little south of you down Fort Rucker way. I ride an RT. Got enough dirt after 22 years in the Army to last a life time. Hope to see you in Des Moines at the International Rally.

If you want to connect to the club sooner the Fontana Getaway weekend at the base of the tail of the dragon in NC is third weekend of April I believe... registration on the website for that getaway opens up in a month or two.

I’ll see you there.

Welcome from a noob to BMW also

Welcome Goldwing2500 and thank you for your service!

I was slow to the party of BMW after riding my whole life on Japanese to Harleys and most recently Ducati Multistrada. My wife and I road to Alaska last year and enjoyed talking to the brotherhood/sisterhood of riders that also made the trip. I started to notice a pattern of GS/A riders...many had on Harley gear from their former life. I was riding my beloved Multistrada often lying prone while servicing my chain with nitrile gloves on in the parking lot. The former "heavy riders" kept telling me about the "whole package" of motorcycle riding that took them to BMW. A few months after Alaska, and seeing how much my wife loved her GS, I pulled the trigger on a '17 R1200GS. Yes, I miss the electrifying talents of the Ducati, but I love the gentle, strong, nimble, low maintenance of my German steed now. At my age (61yrs young) this will most likely be my last long haul bike.

Cheers from the Colorado Rockies,
Don

17' GS
YZ250X (still ride single track!)

Back