• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help with LED Running Lights

MTRREF

Does anyone recognize the LED addition to the turn signal housing on this R100? It provides nice additional light, but the left module is dead -- power in, no light out.

Thanks, Jim
2017-11-26 15.10.24.jpg

Just curious, if the rear turn signal lenses are amber, do the Lite Buddy's really show through as red?

Just curious, if the rear turn signal lenses are amber, do the Lite Buddy's really show through as red?

They sell two different parts. Amber LEDs for the front and Red LEDs for the rear. They show as red running lights at the rear. I have them on my R100 with amber rear turn signals, they show red.

Last edited:
I bought a set in 2000 for the rear of my 81 R100RT and they still work fine! Mine are cast in a red bulb holder.

They sell two different parts. Amber LEDs for the front and Red LEDs for the rear. They show as red running lights at the rear. I have them on my R100 with amber rear turn signals, they show red.

OK, good to hear- thanks! Maybe I'll buy a set. :beer

ive had them and followed a bike with them

frankly, I think that there are better options on the market

I've had a set of Lite Buddies in the rear turn signal housings of my RT for quite awhile, and they seem adequate for their purpose. They're outboard marker lights that address the safety concern that a single light source, like a motorcycle taillight, makes depth perception, or distance to the source, difficult to judge for traffic approaching from the rear. Lite Buddies were an early LED, low-power-draw-for-our-feeble-airhead-electrical-system, alternative to dual-filament 5/21W incandescent turn signal bulbs ("Runnin' Lites"?) in the rear turn signal pods. My own examples are not beautifully crafted, but they work. Experiences with newer, brighter, or otherwise improved alternatives, would be helpful to hear about.

1983 R80RT turn signals

Can the OEM turn signals or Lite Buddies be wired to function as emergency flashers?

Yes. There used to be an OEM kit available to do exactly this, but the kit looks like it's NLA, per Max BMW. Maybe one of the scrappers/recyclers has one.

Last edited:
Back