• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recently ripped off but now a question.......

Hi Chris,

I put my spare key for my F800GT taped w/ a strip of gorilla tape to the inside of the left fairing panel, below and forward of the roundel. It is a very hidden location and yet can be reached and slowly removed w/o taking the panel off:
View attachment 65205
Great idea! One thought that only time will tell if it is a problem, or not...there's a lot of heat coming out of that area. Will the tape deteriorate over time? I don't know. It'd be worth checking every so often and replacing the tape, if needed.

When I wrote that initial post, I kept thinking back to a previous bike ...a Suzuki Burgman scooter. It had a cavernous 62 liter trunk under the seat that was perfect for storing a lot of your riding gear in. I don't know how many owners have put their key into their coat pocket...then put the coat into that trunk and locked it. So my thought was to think the spare key location out well, not just for the obvious solution...but what to do if you do something unforeseen...like the previous post where the jacket's Velcro grabbed onto the spare key lanyard and it fell on the highway.

Chris

That reminds me that I had a scare once when I parked the bike at a curb, my went missing temporarily, & I was parked over a large stormdrain grate! Now I ALWAYS avoid grates AND I'm more disciplined about handling key at bike, i.e. I NEVER set it down anywhere, especially not on the seat.

Mark

After the Salem rally in 2013, we went to Mt Multnomah water fall on the Columbia river. The only place to park in the M/C parking was over a storm grate. Putting the m/c key away it slips and falls into a three foot deep drain that had at least a foot of water and sludge. I fish around with my bare hand to no avail. I went back across the the street to visitor center and got a picker up and found them on my first try.

Great idea! One thought that only time will tell if it is a problem, or not...there's a lot of heat coming out of that area. Will the tape deteriorate over time? I don't know. Chris

If it's actual Gorilla duct tape it's on for good! At least my installation showed no signs of any significant change for the 23K miles I put on the bike and that was in everything from very hot to very wet weather. If I recall I made a cross ('X') out of two ~4" long full width strips, put the key in the center, then stuck it on.

I used an Idea I got from the forum. Put the key in a small thick plastic bag and slide it under the rubber on your foot peg. It works great. No one will know its there . Yes I saw it on a forum and I'm telling more people but I feel confidant the RT thieves are not reading this forum

My plastic back-up key goes in a pocket of my 'Stich Roadcrafter. Pockets are Velcro'd closed so the key is not going anywhere.

Back