• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Veteran

mikegc

On Veteran's Day, I attended a ceremony at the Carolina Field of Honor in Kernersville, NC. The day broke clear and cool with a blustery wind that made all of the flags look starched. The memorial to all who served in all wars was manicured and ready for the veterans many dignitaries who would speak. I noticed a gentleman about my age (70) pushing a very elderly former warrior, wearing his A-2 jacket and crush cap, in a wheelchair/walker:

Mustang%20Pilot%202-XL.jpg

I walked over the the former P-51 pilot, introduced myself to him and his son, requested permission to photograph him and he graciously agreed. We talked for a moment and he said, "I tore up the sky over Europe in '44 & '45." Meet former Lieutenant Andy Goebel:

image002%20copy_tonemapped.jpg

A few minutes later, an announcement was made that the National Anthem was about to be played. Lt. Goebel grasped the hands of the chair and stood unaided. The centenarian rendered a crisp salute and held it until the Star Spangled Banner was finished.

Humbling.

Mike

Last edited:
Great photos! Thanks for posting.

I'm 71 . . . and a retired Army Chaplain. I'm proud of my service but I can't hold a candle to what some of those WWII guys did. They are truly "The Greatest Generation".

Several years ago I got to fly in a B-17. One of the passengers had been a waist gunner in a B-17 during WWII. He could still climb in and out of the plane!! I hope I am that spry down the road.

And yet this current generation's definition of a 'hero' either wears name-brand gym shoes or kneels for anthems. :scratch

Or rescues folks from Harvey's floodwaters or brings food and water to victims of Marie, or a whole bunch of other things. Even some of our folks in Afganistan and Yemen are seen as heroes. It is a perspective.

I suggest we just admire the quality of Mike's photography and respect the man in his pictures as someone who did what he saw as his duty during one of the most trying times of our nation and world. Just imagine what a stud Lt. Goebel was in 1944 when he sat in his Mustang over the skies of Germany.

Gentlemen, thank you for the kind comments about my photos of Lt. Goebel. Like many of you, perhaps, I grew up in a neighborhood where most all the dads had served in WWII. Heck, we kids worshiped the ground they walked on and knew they were the greatest generation prior to Tom Brokaw writing his now-classic book.

Gfspencer, you made the comment, “I'm proud of my service but I can't hold a candle to what some of those WWII guys did.” I know what you mean but indulge me for a moment. Not too long ago, our local chapter of the West Point Society had a dinner and Mr. Joe Galloway was the featured speaker. He co-authored the book We Were Soldiers Once and Young with Lt. General Hal Moore. Mr. Galloway acknowledged Mr. Brokaw’s The Greatest Generation and went on to say the Vietnam vets were the best of their generation. Personally, I believe that of all who served and are serving. Gfspencer, you made a difference. Thank you for your service.

Mike

Gentlemen, thank you for the kind comments about my photos of Lt. Goebel. Like many of you, perhaps, I grew up in a neighborhood where most all the dads had served in WWII. Heck, we kids worshiped the ground they walked on and knew they were the greatest generation prior to Tom Brokaw writing his now-classic book.

Gfspencer, you made the comment, “I'm proud of my service but I can't hold a candle to what some of those WWII guys did.” I know what you mean but indulge me for a moment. Not too long ago, our local chapter of the West Point Society had a dinner and Mr. Joe Galloway was the featured speaker. He co-authored the book We Were Soldiers Once and Young with Lt. General Hal Moore. Mr. Galloway acknowledged Mr. Brokaw’s The Greatest Generation and went on to say the Vietnam vets were the best of their generation. Personally, I believe that of all who served and are serving. Gfspencer, you made a difference. Thank you for your service.

Mike

Well said Mike! :thumb

As a Army Vet myself, all who have served are heroes in my mind. We served not out of obligation, but to protect our country. I have had the pleasure of meeting several WWII soldiers and pilots due to volunteering at War Bird airshows in Akron/Canton and Cleveland Ohio. Their humble nature of what they did has always amazed me. Even to this day, when I meet a vet (which I do often as a Paramedic) I am reminded of the unwritten code. We honor our fellow soldiers above ourselves.
Thank you for such a great picture and reminding us all about those who choose stand up, raise their right hand and swear an oath to protect our country.

Mike

As a Army Vet myself, all who have served are heroes in my mind. We served not out of obligation, but to protect our country. I have had the pleasure of meeting several WWII soldiers and pilots due to volunteering at War Bird airshows in Akron/Canton and Cleveland Ohio. Their humble nature of what they did has always amazed me. Even to this day, when I meet a vet (which I do often as a Paramedic) I am reminded of the unwritten code. We honor our fellow soldiers above ourselves.
Thank you for such a great picture and reminding us all about those who choose stand up, raise their right hand and swear an oath to protect our country.

Mike

You are most welcome, Mike. You are correct about veterans. In their youth, they were once soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines or "Coasties" and did their duty. Somewhere along the way, though, that duty to country evolved into a brotherhood they'll share until they day they die. Thank you for your service, sir.

Mike

Or rescues folks from Harvey's floodwaters or brings food and water to victims of Marie, or a whole bunch of other things. Even some of our folks in Afganistan and Yemen are seen as heroes. It is a perspective.

Thank you. Excellent perspective......Walt E.

I watched Battleship the other night and shared this moment with my wife later. It was towards the end of the battle with the aliens and the only round left on the ship was at the other end of the Missouri. One of the crewmen tells Hopper that the round weighs a thousand pounds, and asks how they will get it there. The next scene shows all the men carrying this awkward heavy round to the only turret still functional.

In the civilian world, they would've stopped at the impossibility of moving that round without the proper equipment to move it. What I've seen in the military is just what that scene portrayed to me. When things seem to "hard" and when others would give up...the military man finds a way and gets the job done.

That is the kind of photos that should be on TV, before the over paid football players.

I would like to see MOA honor all vets at the closing ceremony, at the rally.

THANKS TO ALL WHO SERVED.

MTHELMET

USMCR 1956-1964 PI 7/15/57 to 10/15/57

That is the kind of photos that should be on TV, before the over paid football players.

I would like to see MOA honor all vets at the closing ceremony, at the rally.

THANKS TO ALL WHO SERVED.

MTHELMET

USMCR 1956-1964 PI 7/15/57 to 10/15/57

Excellent idea! :usa

Back