• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 R 1200 S (yes, S) ???

40dcoe

My Motorrad pusher hinted to me that there is a new R 1200 S (yes, S) coming out. Searching the interweb, all I find is the R 1200 S from antiquity, discontinued in 2007.

Anyone heard any rumors/facts?

Welcome to the forum:wave

haven't seen any S news of late...and am the owner of one of those "antiquities"...ouch:laugh

The last run was the HP2 , maybe a K16S :evil as at least there was a concept design

There is a R1200R and the bit sportier R1200RS available now. Not sure that they have been strong sellers! (ps I have the R1200RS and love it)

Adding a R1200S would have to go even sportier, ie less weight, more aggressive riding position, maybe bikini fairing? This sound more like the current R nine T Racer..but that is an retro oil head engine...not the best wet head power or sophisticated suspension, etc etc.

A HP2?? wet head? Maybe!

P1050842.jpg

p2190011-1.jpg

bmw-concept-60021.jpeg
This would be fun!

Ouch again.:scratch

This old technology Hexhead with OEM supplied Ohlins and Akropovic system is far from anemic. They all go zero to ticket in a heartbeat.

I prefer our 11S as it has more personality and feel...The K12S's were fun, but predictable. I rode a HP Hexhead in S clothing, fun but no big difference than ours from my seat perspective.

Yes, the Wethead is the next gen and have more HP...however there is plenty of zoom in the Hex's. The out of box HP of a stock 12S was 123 "back in the day" on the 07 S. I ride a lot of models and get to A-B critique often and don't knock any line up...wel, not much anyway.

It would be a reach for an S IMHO as these were not flying off the showroom in their prime.The 12S never got the cult status the 11S did.They are very different bikes to me as well other than the S designation.
And I never got why the Roadster gets grief. H has one as well as several friends.A very nimble machine...just not enough clothes for many

My Motorrad pusher hinted to me that there is a new R 1200 S (yes, S) coming out. Searching the interweb, all I find is the R 1200 S from antiquity, discontinued in 2007.

Anyone heard any rumors/facts?

I wouldn't be holding my breath. A new "S" wouldn't be a whole lot different from a new RS and would likely dilute sales and thereby increase costs for both.

There is a R1200R and the bit sportier R1200RS available now. Not sure that they have been strong sellers! (ps I have the R1200RS and love it)

I have an R1200R. I consider it way sportier than the RS.

I'm quite happy with it. But songs of more power and lighter weight got may attention.

BMW hasn't ever done naked on an "S" bike. A small fairing has always been their trademark.

Crush my dream, Anyname!

A small screen would be a problem to me. I find the little wind screens worse than no screen, as they concentrate the air flow up on the head. I'm all no screen or big screen, a compromise doesn't work.

Well, I'm stuck between worlds. So.... I made my own. An R1200S Wet Head/R1200S Boxer Cup.

A few stickers from the sign shop and some carbon fiber bits and a trip to the paint shop did it.

It's an old man's sport bike so I lowered the pegs, put 1200R handlebars on top and a comfy seat. Got a taller Givi windscreen but I don't like it. Looking for something else.

Attachments

• R1200S Boxer Cup 4.jpg
    R1200S Boxer Cup 4.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 230
  • R1200S Boxer Cup 6.jpg
    R1200S Boxer Cup 6.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 143
Back