Thread: Broken Bag Mount

SgtG

Question Broken Bag Mount

Last fall had the misfortune of my left saddlebag mount breaking while riding.
    Would someone know where to get replacement bag mounting brackets { will replace other mount too } ?
    Bag is mounted on my '83 RT100 and is a BMW bag { as you look at the bag while on bike BMW is on left and built in rectangular reflector is on the right side }.
    And if you have any hints on how to get rid of some road rash on the bag I'd be interested in that also.
    Thanks.

These mounts--along with 99% of the parts on your bike--are available from any BMW dealer.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

VANZEN

old style?

I have in the past successfully straightened & welded the luggage frames.
    Is repair out of the question?
    Did not think the old style bags / frames were still available at the dealer,
    but see on the <MAX BMW site that, in fact, they are.

Blocking the slow lane
    I also had one welded. No biggie and its still playing fine after four more years.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Fix!

Yes, welding is good option. Most of these are aluminum, however and soft metal for sure. These are tube design(hollow) and good welding technique is a must. If I were doing mine, I would find some alum. rod to go inside tube at break and weld from there. This will be a stronger joint, by far! You may do the weld without rod and be fine, but if it fails again just do the above. Most hardware stores sell the alum. rod you'd need. In an emergency on the road, JB Weld creates miracles if prepared correctly. Prep work in any weld operation is half the battle and if done poorly, failure comes quickly. Happy Trails, Randy/Polarbear

Quote Originally Posted by vanzen
    Did not think the old style bags / frames were still available at the dealer,
    but see on the <MAX BMW site that, in fact, they are.
    Old style bags, no.

Frames have never changed.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Blocking the slow lane
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear
    Yes, welding is good option. Most of these are aluminum, however and soft metal for sure. These are tube design(hollow) and good welding technique is a must.
    I checked. The factory racks on both of my Monolever Airheads are steel.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

On the Road

Since were on the subject.....

Just how robust are the stock bag mounts? Considering a set of aluminum cases for my 95 GS and I see alot of guys using the stock mounts but I am not sure that they would hold up to some heavier loads. Anyone with any experience care to chime in ?

Stuff2c
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz
    I checked. The factory racks on both of my Monolever Airheads are steel.
    I had mine welded and they were also steel. I also had the rod installed internal. This was on a R80/7 with overloaded bags alot of the time, the crack started from a tip over in the garage. Other than that crack the racks were trouble free for 51k miles two up and loaded often. The samsonite bags...now thats another story. If you have a set of those wrap a bungie around them.

I was wrong!

Funny, after checking my R100/7, I found the steel ware as well. Don't know why I thought they were aluminum! Steel makes more sense. Same everything else applies, regarding welding,rod,etc..Good day.....

Stuff2c
    We'll forgive you this time. But we all got winded running to the garage to get out a magnet.