Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 46 to 56 of 56

Thread: Anti lock Brakes

  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Southeastern VA
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
    I'd like to think I can stop better than ABS on good pavement or on a pre planned aggressive stop. I want ABS brakes for the whop **** emergency stops.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. #47
    Registered User wbrownell9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New Castle, DE
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
    I'd like to think I can stop better than ABS on good pavement or on a pre planned aggressive stop. I want ABS brakes for the whop **** emergency stops.
    We all do. But not all of us are right.
    2016 R1200 GSA

  3. #48
    Registered User patm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
    I'd like to think I can stop better than ABS on good pavement or on a pre planned aggressive stop. I want ABS brakes for the whop **** emergency stops.
    In a straight line maybe. Not so sure when leaned over. I think ABS Pro would be a winner (or butt saver) here.
    Pat

    Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

  4. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    2

    A different need for ABS brake, on a gravel driveway ??

    One of the reasons I sold my other bike was my gravel driveway. Can't pave it due to water run off, fairly steep and 150 ft. to a 90 deg. left turn, then the pavement. My Yamaha Majesty scooter has two disc brakes, with two brake levers, and auto trans., no problem there at all. For safety, both feet must be outriggers to slide down this one.

    The BMW I am just now buying has ABS, my assumption is that with coupled front and rear brakes it would be more controlled. No access to the rear brake can be considered safe in most weather on this one. Is there a way to add some rear brake to the front brake, I thought ABS would do that automatically ?? Could I add a second cable to do both like my scooter??

    Thanks, Cal

  5. #50
    Sounds like a great place to practise skid turns.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT,
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker; 2016 Honda NC700 DCT

  6. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Guadalajara, México
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by calsgone View Post
    One of the reasons I sold my other bike was my gravel driveway. Can't pave it due to water run off, fairly steep and 150 ft. to a 90 deg. left turn, then the pavement. My Yamaha Majesty scooter has two disc brakes, with two brake levers, and auto trans., no problem there at all. For safety, both feet must be outriggers to slide down this one.

    The BMW I am just now buying has ABS, my assumption is that with coupled front and rear brakes it would be more controlled. No access to the rear brake can be considered safe in most weather on this one. Is there a way to add some rear brake to the front brake, I thought ABS would do that automatically ?? Could I add a second cable to do both like my scooter??

    Thanks, Cal
    I don't know what you mean by "No access to the rear brake can be considered safe in most weather on this one".

    Going downhill on gravel, I don't think the rear brake will be of much use anyway. Even modest braking at the rear wheel will just lock it up. If it were me, I would go down slowly with the front brake and take the 90 degree turn at near zero speed for the first few times. After I got used to it, I would probably pick it up and maybe even enjoy sliding around the corner, but not at first.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

  7. #52
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    6,444
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWaterCooled View Post
    I don't know what you mean by "No access to the rear brake can be considered safe in most weather on this one".

    Going downhill on gravel, I don't think the rear brake will be of much use anyway. Even modest braking at the rear wheel will just lock it up. If it were me, I would go down slowly with the front brake and take the 90 degree turn at near zero speed for the first few times. After I got used to it, I would probably pick it up and maybe even enjoy sliding around the corner, but not at first.
    I would do just the opposite and use the rear brake in a downhill gravel situation. Locking the rear wheel is a highly controllable event, locking the front is much less so. There are reasons that experienced off road riders like to turnoff ABS and traction control when riding off pavement; having the ability to slide the rear tire is one.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  8. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Guadalajara, México
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I would do just the opposite and use the rear brake in a downhill gravel situation. Locking the rear wheel is a highly controllable event, locking the front is much less so. There are reasons that experienced off road riders like to turnoff ABS and traction control when riding off pavement; having the ability to slide the rear tire is one.
    That makes sense. I am not an off-road rider. The only similar experience I have had was about a year ago. I stayed with some friends in a house out in the country. The driveway was about a kilometer long and up hill. The last 100 m of it was steep and covered with a couple of inches of pine needles. Coming down when I left, it was challenging to control the speed over that 100 m. Any braking on the rear wheel broke it loose. I based my suggestion on that stretch, but thinking back, I agree with you. For the rest of that driveway, the rear brake made for more controllable handling on the dirt.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

  9. #54
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by calsgone View Post
    Is there a way to add some rear brake to the front brake, I thought ABS would do that automatically ?? Could I add a second cable to do both like my scooter??

    Thanks, Cal
    ABS can only reduce brake pressure to a wheel that is skidding, it will never add pressure, and applying the rear brake has no effect on the front brake. It may be possible for a customizer to rig up a rear hand control (some racers and disabled riders have them), but you should be able to control the bike as it is. Using your feet as outriggers is a bad idea. Unless you are stopping every couple of inches, you can't really catch the bike if it slips, and you risk injury if you try. Take the hill in first gear, slowly enough to prevent speed build-up, fast enough to maintain balance with your feet on the pegs. Expect the bike to move around a bit, don't fight it, it really wants to stay up. A little front brake can help keep the speed low on the downhill stretch, but I'd probably be completely off the front brake at the bottom, to dedicate all the limited traction to turning. It would probably help if you could find some gravel roads to practice on that are flatter and straighter than your driveway, just to grow confident on loose surfaces.
    Last edited by lkraus; 12-09-2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  10. #55
    Or take a large bike off road class. I just completed another Rawhyde class last week.
    Even the Introductory weekend class would make these driveways a non event.
    Skid turns come during the Next Step or level II class but that would not be necessary.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT,
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker; 2016 Honda NC700 DCT

  11. #56
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    5,973
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    You will not outbrake your ABS and the front brake is your only real brake.
    Jorge Lorenzo, multi-time MotoGP World Champion recently noted in an interview regarding his new Ducati experience that during his Yamaha years he never used the rear brake.

    It would be hilarious to compare myself to him, but I can say that I've never dumped a bike in a parking lot because I was using the front brake ... and I was because I never use the rear either.

    I do recall from my grade school days when I got one of those new-fangled bicycles with front and rear hand brakes that I was sternly cautioned regarding the front wheel brake and how I could put myself over the handlebars using it.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-01-2016, 12:47 PM
  2. Anti-Seize use?
    By garlicbreath in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-24-2016, 12:59 AM
  3. Anti seize
    By georgej in forum Airheads
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 04:52 PM
  4. 2002 k1200lt anti lock brake alarm
    By cliffordwmorris in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 10:14 PM
  5. When to use anti-sieze?
    By BMW Triumphant in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-06-2012, 03:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •