• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Nav VI

All of my routes are 2 to 300 miles. When I put one of my routes in the Nav6 it broke it into as it said I had over 29 shaping points ( I think that's what it said). And if I have a route with all the shaping points silent but the start and destination that is the only option I have when I start the route.

The Nave 6 is great to see in the sun. Its a upgrade from my 660 and I had a 550 to start with.
Bob

You can have only 29 Waypooints/ViaPoints in a route, but you can have over 120 silent Shaping Points between each WayPoint.
Check the mileage on the route after you make it in BaseCamp and then compare it to the imported route inside the Nav VI.

And yes the Nav VI is a huge improvement in bright daylight and sunshine over the Zumo 550 and 590.

I guess I'm still not clear the difference between waypoints and shaping points?
I was able to go into the route that got split and make the waypoints silent. some of them were only seconds apart. I'm slowly learning.
Just made a track for the first time.
bob

A Shaping Point is a “silent” WayPoint or what used to be known as a ViaPoint in Mapsource.
Also Shaping Points show up on the GPS screen as pearl like points, while WayPoints are normally Orange Flags.
You use these points to shape your route to stay on the roads you want to ride with the bike.
WayPoints normally are places like gas stations, restaurants or motels, campgrounds, basically Destinations. Or places you have marked on previous trips.
Tracks are normally rides or trips you did, while the GPS was on. It records these tracks and they can be very helpful when you try to figure out after a trip where you all rode or when your where in certain areas.
But you can also use them to convert into routes which normally have a lot of points.

Buying a nav VI

Considering buying on for my RT. Is it plug and play or do I need dealer setup? My Garmin fits in the socket but is not bright enough.

Considering buying on for my RT. Is it plug and play or do I need dealer setup? My Garmin fits in the socket but is not bright enough.
Did the bike come with the GPS prep kit. If so the it is plug and play. If not you will need to add the wiring.

Navigator VI

Thanks for the input, My bike is prepped for the GPS, does it give the new user step by step instructions, or is it like other garmins with the choice of map or where to.

Thanks for the input, My bike is prepped for the GPS, does it give the new user step by step instructions, or is it like other garmins with the choice of map or where to.
It is like other Garmins, but with different apps. Route creation, selection or import is done in Trip planner.
Check out the Nav VI owners manual for more info.

"Altered default brake debounce to 1 sec from 10 ms"

Errr, what exactly????

Anyone know what the hell this means? Is it something to do with that crazy data about how often the rear versus front brake is applied or something? If so, I would have thought they would have had more important things to fix than that - like the "Tracker" app which has not worked since day one despite it being an advertised "New feature". (Yes, I know, it works on the Navigator but anyone receiving the tracker link only sees a blank screen on their device - what's up with that?)

Navigator VI now works very well overall

Since I bitched and moaned loudly when I first started using my Nav VI a year ago, on this forum and others, as well as to Garmin Support, thought I would come back and say that everything is now working quite well. Some of my issues were no doubt fixed with a replacement unit Garmin sent me, others from the last couple of software/firmware updates that have been released. The Tracker even now works.

I find in practice that the routes I design in BaseCamp transfer well to the Nav VI and reliably perform while following the route. Off route divergencies seem to get re-routed well back onto my original route, either by sending me to the nearest Shaping Point or next Waypoint - as I would expect. The BT features all work, steaming music is no problem, phone calls in and out work, and all the other apps that I've tried work as advertised. I did a 2,000 mile 11 day Appalachians trip this summer and pretty much followed the pre-planned routes all the way without issues.

So, overall, the Navigator VI has stopped being a source of confusion and frustration to a device that is reliable and performs as expected (meaning per the manual instructions and Garmin Online Support pages).

I have it paired with an iPhone 8 and Sena SRL communication system. Works great!

Back