• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rt 07 smells in winter sleep

delmar

I bought a RT in July , I had a Honda ST1100 enjoyed it but like the RT more so does the wife put 10000 km on it no problems . I always put the ST in the basement for winter now I have put the RT in the basement but it smells gas / exhaust not real bad but enough the wife reminds me , did not have this problem with ST has been in for a week going away but still there
Would appreciate any help , battery is out , on center stand , temperature around 70 F ,3/4 tank of gas with fuel stabilizer
Thanks in advance
PS . find the moa site very helpful enjoy it

Is your gas cap fully closed?
Mine will smell gas after fueling if the gas cap hasn't "clicked" in position.

Yes gas cap checked was first thing I did to make sure that it had no pressure , thanks.
Charcoal : not sure but for sure ex owner did not , sent to dealer for very thing even tire pressure
Still wondering :scratch

Check to see if the bike had the fuel pump flange recall.
Also check the fuel line quick disconnects.

Check to see if the bike had the fuel pump flange recall.
Also check the fuel line quick disconnects.

+1
My fuel pump had to be replaced last October after the reinforcement ring that was installed during the recall campaign of 2014 started leaking.

The smell is starting to go away but if you walk beside the bike you can smell it . Fuel strip as been changed 5 times and can not find any leaks around pump or seals ,though maybe the charcoal canister might leak slowly fumes but being Canadian maybe not ? I think different automotive companies well kind of do different things to pass emissions some pump in air some use water and so on . O well new technology still will keep the bike for sure ! Still have a odour but will live with it

The smell is starting to go away but if you walk beside the bike you can smell it . Fuel strip as been changed 5 times and can not find any leaks around pump or seals ,though maybe the charcoal canister might leak slowly fumes but being Canadian maybe not ? I think different automotive companies well kind of do different things to pass emissions some pump in air some use water and so on . O well new technology still will keep the bike for sure ! Still have a odour but will live with it

If you have a Canadian bike (Euro spec, Speedometer in Kph only) then you don't have a charcoal canister.
IFIAK They exist only on US models.

If you go to this site and enter tour VIN number, you will know exactly what your bike is. ( Production date, option package etc.)

http://www.bimmer.work/

Back