• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 R1200RS - shorter sidestand?

gmarsh

Hello - new to the group and loving my new 2016 R1200RS! However, sometimes I feel the kickstand keeps the bike so straight up that I'm concerned it may tip over when not parking on a perfectly level spot and a good wind or someone accidentally bumping it.

After conversations with my local BMW dealer they don't have a solution. BMW (corporate) states it's a perfect design and it won't fall (but when challenging that statement, they are not willing to back it up with a guarantee of covering all expenses of any needed repairs if it does fall). Not surprisingly they do not recommend shortening the kickstand either, although many in some FB groups have suggested that and have done so with no problems. I'd consider it but am concerned I'll be giving BMW a reason to void a repair warranty because I altered their "perfect" design.

Anyone else feel this way about the angle or had a problem? Interested in any solutions you may have or do I just wait and see if anything happens? Thanks and ride safe! :wave

I agree, not enough lean angle. I look for good ways to park it, sometimes the only thing to do is put it up on the centerstand.

Jay

Welcome to the forum!
I’m not familiar with the problem. I have shortened side stands and center stands, not hard to do. If you think it will take some worry out of parking- have it done.
Gary

Welcome to the site gmarsh.
The too long sidestand is the biggest complaint I hear about the RS.
I know one RS rider had his bike fall over when washing it. While on the sidestand it takes very little pressure to push the bike over to the right.
If you decide to shorten the sidestand, don't worry about BMW, they will not void your warranty.
On ours I ground down the sidestand stop a little to allow the stand to swing forward more. This helps a little.
Both my wife and I run our ESA on 2 up which raises the back end of the bike.
This helps more than grinding the sidestand stop.

I saw a good tip on the RS forum http://r1200rsforums.com/ the other week.
Before shutting off the bike, stand enough to get your butt off the seat, then shut off the bike.
Getting the weight off the seat allows the forks and shock to extend.
When you shut off the bike the ESA will lock in place and this will allow the bike to learn more on the sidestand.

If you bike has ESA, put it on 2- up before dropping the sidestand. It will raise the bike and create more lean angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips and confirmation of what I felt is not enough lean angle and not my imagination.

Like Lee said, I ground my side stand stop (both sides) MORE than a little and this has made all the difference.

side stand

My wife bought a lowered gs and had ilar issue. I just cut off about 3/8 of an inch and re-welded it back together. Works great but must keep the origional alignment.

Yep, fully agree with the side stand not giving enough lean when resting the bike, thus I just use the center stand.

Share info with BMW customer service

Hey folks, thanks for the variety of tips. Just wanted to update you that I spoke with BMW customer service. Talked with a really nice rep who totally understood the issue. As you probably know BMW doesn’t offer a fix at this time.

But, she said they do run all comments from customers up through management who look for Trends. When they see a trend for this issue they may develop a solution. So if you or any friends have this bike and agree with the issue, please consider taking 5 minutes and give customer service a call to put on the record. You can reach them at:

1-800-831-1117 There is a live representative between the hours of 9:00AM - 9:00PM EST Monday-Thursday, and 9:00AM - 6:00PM EST Fridays. If someone's not there to take your call, you can wait and the automated voice will prompt you to leave a message. Or,

CustomerService@bmwmotorcycles.com.

Yes the too long side stand is a problem, but as mentioned earlier it can be easily fixed by grinding the side stand stops. I ground both side quite a bit, enough so I added a "fat foot" for parking in soft soils. Problem solved.

Yes the too long side stand is a problem, but as mentioned earlier it can be easily fixed by grinding the side stand stops. I ground both side quite a bit, enough so I added a "fat foot" for parking in soft soils. Problem solved.

Yeah, I may end up going that route. My issue is one should not have to go to that hassle and effort for the amount of $$ spent on a “quality” machine. A company of the claiber of BMW should recognize a not so perfect design element and readily offer a solution. Even the solution of shortening the side stand. Which my BMW dealer refuses to do. Hence my comment for their customers to make a quick call or email to the company - if a company isn’t aware of an issue they can’t fix it going forward.

Appreciate all your comments! Ride safe my friends! :wave

Yeah, I may end up going that route. My issue is one should not have to go to that hassle and effort for the amount of $$ spent on a “quality” machine. A company of the claiber of BMW should recognize a not so perfect design element and readily offer a solution. Even the solution of shortening the side stand. Which my BMW dealer refuses to do. Hence my comment for their customers to make a quick call or email to the company - if a company isn’t aware of an issue they can’t fix it going forward.

Agree, but sadly you'll need to get in line behind the fuel strip folks who are still waiting for BMW to realize their not so perfect design....as well as any other number of short sighted designs with less than perfect review and fix.

Over time you will note a level of BMW corporate "arrogance" that what they do is by definition right. They are not as responsive to customer complaints, or wishes beyond their own definition, as other manufacturers are. It just another "feature" of buy BMW. Think of it as character!!

I don't mind it.

With the near upright stance and overall sturdiness of the side stand I use it in my advancing age to step on and off the bike using the foot pegs. I though maybe BMW designed it just for that purpose.
What is a centerstand?:kiss

Back