• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is the scooter holding back my learning curve?

It’s really fun when you have friends with interesting bikes that like to swap rides for the day.
OM

Oh, no - no traditional bike for me

I commuted on a Suzuki Burgman 400 for several years. Eventually, something dawned on me. Most people riding scooters are doing so because they don't have a choice. Age is taking its toll on their body and they can no longer swing a leg over the seat, and perhaps can't squeeze a clutch lever. Scooters were where they gravitated in an effort to keep riding.

I did have a choice on what I could ride, but was noticing things like my left hand was beginning to give me problems as if arthritis was setting in. And I was getting arthritis in my hips. So while I could, I bought a Honda NT700V. I thought I'd ride both bikes about equally. After a year, I found I had only filled up the scooter three times, which was about a week and a half of normal riding. When given a choice each morning, I went with the motorcycle without giving it much thought.

On the practical side of things, the scooter won hands down. More economical. Full fairing for riding in the cold and rain. Huge 62 liter storage area under the seat. Tires cost far less and lasted for about 15,000 miles. Everything said the scooter would be the ride of choice...but it didn't happen.

On the physical side of things, the left hand no longer has any problems in it. I don't have a problem with the hips anymore. It's like doing physical therapy...but a lot more fun. :)

I don't think there's a problem with riding a scooter. But if you have only enough room for one bike, I'd get a "real" motorcycle now and save the scooter years for when you don't have a choice.

Honda's NC700X is getting the larger 750cc engine. The Yamaha FJ-09 is getting an upgrade soon, and the BMW F800 series will get a larger engine with a number of upgrades to it as well.

Chris

I disagree - I've got 20K miles on my 2018 C650GT (and a total of 75+K miles on previous years' models I owned) and find it extremely comfortable in its own right. I did the Ironbutt 1000 a few years back and when we were done, two of the guys on "real" motorcycles came to me and said "when you pulled up on that scooter, we thought you were screwing with us - now we want to buy one."

The ONLY downside to the CVT (well, other than maintenance expenses) is the inability to drop a gear to get some extra oomph when hitting an uphill grade but that is so minor compared to the benefits it's worth the tradeoff, at least to me. I will say it's fun to play with the Ninja-riding twerps who pull up next to me at a stoplight (fully regaled in mohawk helmet and leathers matching the lime green color of their bikes) that cannot shift quickly enough to keep up with me when the light turns green. I never ever look their way to challenge them, but you can tread their tiny minds when at the next light they really try, and fail again, and suddenly have to make a right turn at the next light.

...I will say it's fun to play with the Ninja-riding twerps who pull up next to me at a stoplight (fully regaled in mohawk helmet and leathers matching the lime green color of their bikes) that cannot shift quickly enough to keep up with me when the light turns green. I never ever look their way to challenge them, but you can tread their tiny minds when at the next light they really try, and fail again, and suddenly have to make a right turn at the next light.
Why are so many scooter riders like little terriers, having to prove how big and manly they are to the much bigger dog they come across?

Keep riding like that, and you'll probably kill yourself...or someone else. And quit kidding yourself. Unless they are riding a 300cc sport bike or start in neutral, they can easily out accelerate you...and they won't need to shift till they are past freeway speed limits. Take the drag racing to the track and keep it off the streets.

Chris

This is funny, it reminds of back in the day, 1980 something when I had a 1966 Corvette 327/350hp and people would tell me that a VW Beetle could beat me for the first 30 feet or so in a race. I always told them I would never race for 30 feet.:burnout

This is funny, it reminds of back in the day, 1980 something when I had a 1966 Corvette 327/350hp and people would tell me that a VW Beetle could beat me for the first 30 feet or so in a race. I always told them I would never race for 30 feet.:burnout
Heck, I think a world class sprinter could probably beat most vehicles for 30 ft. :)

Back