• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum
Most computers have a mic (and a camera too). Software turns it off and on - whether surreptitiously by an installed or rogue program, or overtly by user control. Taping over the transducer defeats software (moreso for the camera). Network attached security cameras (with mics) in your home can be reached from outside if you haven't properly secured them (and your network). All bets are off with the new round of interactive devices such as Amazon Echo, Google Home and their ilk. They do whatever their designers tell them to do.

Skynet. :banghead

Honestly....

... if y'all put as much effort into sharing links to good stuff here on the forum as you do into hand-wringing over Facebook, you might be happier. Ray Tubbs (ray@bmwmoa.org) is your go-to guy.

Check out the latest newsletter... no mention of anything happening here. Ditto on Facebook. Maybe it's not the way it should be, but it's up to you to be proactive if you want the MOA to promote the use of our Forum.

MOA_newsletter-X2.png

I'm not sure but I think you just suggested the forum members should petition the office to post Member specific info on the forum :scratch
OM

Just for grins I went to the BMW MOA public group on Facebook using Voni's account. That Facebook group has 16,321 members. Apparently is has appeal for at least a few folks.

Hey, I don't care if people are migrating to Facebook. I'm just content to be part of this dwindling bunch of cantankerous, crotchety and bellicose old men who on a good day are obstinate, thin-skinned fuddy-duddys who resent any challenge to their beliefs and are quick to take offence and equally as swift to snub new members. What’s not to love and protect about that? :scratch

Just for grins I went to the BMW MOA public group on Facebook using Voni's account. That Facebook group has 16,321 members. Apparently is has appeal for at least a few folks.

There are 22000+ usernames on the forum. We know how that the number of member visits to the forum is far less than that...I suspect it's the same with FB. Theoretically, we have (or could have) the entire membership as forum members. Is that more than 30000?? Again, some people are happy to just get the magazine each month and likely don't even know about the forum or FB for that matter.

Hey, I don't care if people are migrating to Facebook. I'm just content to be part of this dwindling bunch of cantankerous, crotchety and bellicose old men who on a good day are obstinate, thin-skinned fuddy-duddys who resent any challenge to their beliefs and are quick to take offence and equally as swift to snub new members. What’s not to love and protect about that? :scratch

:ha

fwiw, there is the Dull Mens Club FB Group.... they have a bit over 15k members, too.

Again, some people are happy to just get the magazine each month and likely don't even know about the forum or FB for that matter.

That should upset you because you all work hard to keep the show rolling here, I feel this forum adds significant value to the MOA membership experience, and it would be very nice if the people who "send out the word" would not ignore your efforts. Just because you all work for free doesn't mean your contribution adds no value. :mad

Due to periodic lapses in group admin there are a fair number of fake n00bs in our FB group. Those are typically used for list building and spamming purposes... and it would be useful for us to mount an effort to delete those "members." However, sometimes these people may have an interest in moto aand join every group they can find. In these cases, the value of basic awareness of the MOA should be considered. (insert long discussion here about the potential for the MOA to become the world's first independent international club....)

Two examples are below.... both are members of our group that were recently approved to join. The first has one pic with moto, the second has none. The first has a few friends into moto... the second does not. Both are low value "members" imo, but I think this is how you communicate to MOA decision-makers that at least people posting on the Forum are qualified members.

Screen%20Shot%202017-12-21%20at%202.33.03%20PM-X2.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-12-21%20at%202.35.21%20PM-X2.png

I guess "upping" a "friend" count isn't real bad if the "joiner" doesn't cause trouble with spam, trolling or the usual. I think it skews the numbers of those really interested in BMW/MOA club interests.
From an advertisers view, I would have to guess it's like having a highway detour towards it's billboards. The local news, when they request the publics help, never put up the police phone number.......They want you to go to their website for the number, just in case you may see something you might want to purchase.
OM

Dilly Dilly! :beer

Back