• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dellorto Carb Help

swall

Anyone got a tip for installing the throttle cable through the slide return spring and getting the little square end ferule into place on a 38mm Delorto carb for an R90S? Seems like two hands are not enough. I made 4 attempts yesterday and couldn't get it. Made 4 more today and thought I had it but the square cable end did not seem to be properly seated. I poked at it with a small screw driver and it didn't move, so I thought I had it. But, the cable came out as I was inserting the slide into the carb body. I am thinking of making a simple spring compressor from a piece of all thread, then tie the coils down with 3 small wire ties. Any other ideas?

I've never been that close to a Dell'Orto before. Snowbum talks about them here...didn't see anything specific...maybe there are other links on the page:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/dell.htm

There are some past posts in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the page...see if there's any help there.

My recollection is the ferrule should be an oval not square, where did the cable come from? The spring is stupidly robust, someone makes a slightly less springy spring but its been a while since I did it but I think the trick is thumb on the lid two fingers on the slide, squeeze and use you're other hand to guide the ferrule into its spot but if its a little big you might have to take a file and shape it a little. Dellorto cables for a BMW are one of those parts that are getting harder to find, I think I had to have Flanders in Pasadena make them for me and I seem to remember they still weren't quite right.

I got the job done this afternoon. Took about 3 attempts. In Trial 1, the cable ended up sandwiched the slide bottom and the C-clip. This does not give you straight line pull from the seating hole. In Trial 2, I had to quit, as my fingers were at their limit of endurance. Got it on Trial 3. Must have been due to being experienced by then. Only glitch was that the spring was cocked at the bottom due to slide slip of the last few coils. Grabbed the spring and pulled it while I jiggled it a bit until it slipped into place. Then had to monkey around with getting the slide into the carb body and getting the accelerator lever properly position. That took may 3 tries. The cable was a genuine BMW part. I will take a look at the Ducati links later. Probably some good stuff there.

Back