• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bar Riser/Bar Back Recommendations for an F700GS

excdnguy

Got my F700GS in September and loving it but I'm finding that the seating position could be improved somewhat. As a person of "lesser stature" at 5'6"-5'7" tall I got the low suspension version with the regular height seat as the super thin low seat did not look all that appealing. I'm thinking that a little shorter reach would be much more comfortable (the bar back movement) while moving them up a bit in height would also help. I've done some research on Verholen risers - German made and look very good quality and very nice looking like they are factory/OEM but certainly not cheap at $279 from Sierra BMW.

I am looking for some other recommendations (what are you using?) and/or if anyone has used the Verholen ones and what you thought of them. Also would appreciate info on if you had enough cable etc. with your installation and/or what you had to do. Thanks. Dave.

PS - My very smart, very educated and lovely medical doctor wife may mock me for asking about this as she is about 4' 11.5" tall and I often joke about her "T-Rex arms" which don't allow her to reach anything... payback I guess.

Last edited:
Bar backs

I put a set of these

Touratech, 20mm Handlebar Risers, BMW F800GS/ADV / F700GS / F650GS-Twin, $49.95, Item # 048-0150

On my 2011 f650gs twin and it made all the difference in the world.
max

I put a set of these

Touratech, 20mm Handlebar Risers, BMW F800GS/ADV / F700GS / F650GS-Twin, $49.95, Item # 048-0150

On my 2011 f650gs twin and it made all the difference in the world.
max
I have a pair of these on my F-650GS Twin, and they have helped a whole lot! They are a good choice because they are not enough of a height or position change to require cable changes. Anything more than this, you'll probably need new brake and clutch connections.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the Recommendations

I have a pair of these on my F-650GS Twin, and they have helped a whole lot! They are a good choice because they are not enough of a height or position change to require cable changes. Anything more than this, you'll probably need new brake and clutch connections.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll probably go with the 20mm Touratech or Wunderlich risers since they probably won't require cable changes and are fairly cheap. Good over-the-winter project as skiing season will start soon for me and the bike will have a long winter nap, at least until the start of April depending on snow. I can see if that makes enough difference before going bigger or more elaborate and dealing with any cable changes. Probably the most logical first step.
I also worry about too drastic of a change in the bike's carefully and precisely German-engineered balance with going higher and back so these would probably be a good fix (somewhat tongue in cheek as I grew up in a Germanic family speaking Deutsch as my first language and could just see some BMW engineer grunting out: "But of course das handlink ist perfect. Vee made it das vay!") We shall see. Thanks again. D

Last edited:
Bar risers

I'd suggest the Rox 2" risers. I'm also in the 5'6" range and found them to make a real difference in the reach to the bars. Didn't need any cable changes.

Back