• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Old Guy on a BMW

richardus

So I guess I have now entered a stigma, and have been referred to as "the old guy on a BMW". Ive seen in in motorcycle videos online, I've read it in articles, I've seen it in photos, and I see it all the time on the road. I have become an old guy on a BMW. Young guys on their "crotch rockets" are well familiar with this term and perhaps it is why they often do not get a BMW? Afraid of the stigma? Wont get the girls any more now? Im sure they have their reasons.

Well I for one, am here to say that I am an old guy on a BMW and proud of it! Im fairly new to being an old guy on a BMW, but I've worked long and hard to get here. I guess you older guys on BMWs consider me the "new guy" or the "young buck" at the tender age of only 51. Still more than a decade until retirement!

But being an old guy on a BMW is a good thing. It is a symbol of status! Young dudes usually can't afford one for starters! It shows that you have progressed beyond the crazy riding days of the offroad hondas, you steered clear of the "Harley Dude" stigma, and prefer the European style sophistication of these highly engineered machines that have technology so advanced that most regular bike shops wont even service them.

Yes, I am an old guy on a BMW, and strive to be an even older guy on a BMW. One day I will be riding down the road with a big white beard split in half by the wind going "fluffa fluffa fluffa" as I cruise down the road! I have found a place where I belong and look forward to many years in the future to becoming the veteran "old guy on a BMW".

20170811_194137.jpg

Hello Richard:wave, I will surely trade you ages. Yup, beemers are great bikes and I wouldn't trade mine for any HD or multi from Japan.

Fluffa fluffa fluffa....is that a technical term?

Welcome to the Old Guy ranks, young fella!
You're in good company.

Joe

Old guy on BMW

I can relate to the long white beard going "fluffa, fluffa, fluffa" in the wind. Tends to get knotted up on a longer ride. What is more problematic is getting the beard caught in the chin piece of the Schuberth and crying like a small child. :gerg

Friedle

So I guess I have now entered a stigma, and have been referred to as "the old guy on a BMW".

Being an OGOABMW confers special status upon that individual. To wit:

- typically given a warning instead of a ticket if caught enhancing the posted speed limit by the local constabulary
- one is more likely to be greeted with a smile rather than suspicion (or worse) by the locals
- can elicit surprise when removing one's helmet after showing the squid kids the fast way down a winding road
- often given preferential parking at many hotels

And there are many more.

"Membership Has Its Privileges" :D

Welcome to the club.

Here's the old guy on a BMW

Just turned 88--sitting on his new K1600B :dance And a recent graduate of the California Superbike School which he did on his traded in K1600GT.

fullsizeoutput_2a2.jpg!

I got my first BMW when I was 35 and have not looked back. My R1150RT-P was my starter bike, for I could not afford to buy a 500cc or so, use ti for two years (or less) and upgrade. Found one, very reasonable and ran with it. Always wanted an R bike and I jumped at the chance of having one. Now, at 42 I am #3 and have no desire to change. I am OK with Old Guy on a BMW tag.
Mike

Conversation at work, I was about 51 then:

Them: You ride a motorcycle?
Me: Yes

Them: What do you ride?
Me: Yamaha FZ6

Them: Really?
Me: You seem surprised

Them: I thought you'd have a Harley. I thought all you old guys rode Harley's.
Me: Well, when I get old maybe I'll get a Harley.

A couple of days later I'm out at my bike when a lady I know walks by and stops.

Her: That's your motorcycle?
Me: Yup

Her: I wasn't expecting that.
Me: What were you expecting?

Her: I thought you'd ride one of those (points to a Harley).
Me: (sigh)

A few of years later, I'm about 56 and at a co-workers birthday bash, a couple of young guys say "We heard you ride a motorcycle
Me: Yes

Them: What do you ride?
Me: Suzuki GSF1250

They look at each other in surprise.

Me: Not what you were expecting, I take it?
Them: Nope, we thought you'd ride a Harley or something.

Be glad you are still young enough to ride a BMW!!

Old Guy

For several years I was an old guy on a Gold Wing. Now that I have a new R1200GS I have left over 300 pounds of motorcycle behind and added a lot of horsepower to my ride. So does that make me the young guy on the BMW? Who cares!!

At the tender age of 71 I have enjoyed 53 years of racing and riding motorcycles. When asked when I might give up riding my answer was. "When they pick me up with a cherry picker, place me on the bike, give me a push to get going and I tip over-----then it's time to get a sidecar"

Actually, I have come to understand that "old guy on a BMW' is not an age-related title at all. No more than is "geezer." Both terms are more a matter of personality and attitude than age. I became both a geezer and an old guy on a BMW about the same time in my life, and the age at which that occurred was younger than 50. I happily wear both titles with great respect.

Chicago Tribune isn't helping

From a Chicago Tribune article dated Nov 1 about real estate billionaire Sam Zell:

"But while he portrayed himself as being as keen a risk taker as ever, the 75-year-old confessed to Inc. that he had traded in his beloved fire-breathing Ducati motorcycles for a BMW, generally regarded as an old man’s brand.
His latest steed, a BMW 800R, has a top speed of just 135mph."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chicagoinc/ct-met-sam-zell-1102-chicago-inc-20171101-story.html

I'm a really old guy

Nice to read about your ageing process and philosophy. I've been riding since 1970 although there were many years in between not riding (sailing a sailboat instead) when I stared back riding in 2006. I've gone through Suzukis, Hondas, Kawasaki Concours, and Triumphs until settling on my current 2008 R1200RT. I am planning a cross country trip after I turn 80 in March. I will go from NC to FL to Calif to British Columbia, before returning. I'd like to find someone to ride along that has the same inclination, time, money and energy to accompany me. keep rolling on is my advice and when you hit 80 like me you can thank your lucky stars you discovered the joy of motorcycling in time. Good luck

I'd like to find someone to ride along that has the same inclination, time, money and energy to accompany me. keep rolling on is my advice and when you hit 80 like me you can thank your lucky stars you discovered the joy of motorcycling in time. Good luck

Pick me up in Minneapolis.

For several years I was an old guy on a Gold Wing. Now that I have a new R1200GS I have left over 300 pounds of motorcycle behind and added a lot of horsepower to my ride. So does that make me the young guy on the BMW? Who cares!!

At the tender age of 71 I have enjoyed 53 years of racing and riding motorcycles. When asked when I might give up riding my answer was. "When they pick me up with a cherry picker, place me on the bike, give me a push to get going and I tip over-----then it's time to get a sidecar"

Well you still got the "Mojo" man.

One day I will be riding down the road with a big white beard split in half by the wind going "fluffa fluffa fluffa" as I cruise down the road!

This image that pops in my mind is Burt Shavitz of Burt's Bees. ON had a wondeful picture of him a few years ago. I am sure there is a better version of this picture out there.
BurtsPassing_Image_Motorcycle.png

Some very entertaining replies! I do enjoy this. All I can really add is that I know a few guys that are around 80 or so
and have stopped riding because they say they haven't got the strength anymore to properly control and handle the bike.
It's good to know that this does not apply to everyone. And god willing should I be lucky enough to still be riding at 80 I
shall simply look at other options if the bike feels too heavy for me. Such as... just get a smaller bike! I am already feeling like my
500 lb bike is enough and not sure if I want to go any heavier. After all, I want to ride a bike, not a car on two wheels!
DSCN1924.jpg

The one misconception that everyone needs to know is going from a 2-wheel to 3-wheel is NOT a good idea of you think it will be easier!!
I am a 3-wheel S/TEP Instructor and folks don't realize how much upper body strength it takes to operate a 3-wheel motorcycle. During my 3-wheel Instructor course, there were some days I couldn't even raise my arms above my shoulders!! :hungover

The one misconception that everyone needs to know is going from a 2-wheel to 3-wheel is NOT a good idea of you think it will be easier!!
I am a 3-wheel S/TEP Instructor and folks don't realize how much upper body strength it takes to operate a 3-wheel motorcycle. During my 3-wheel Instructor course, there were some days I couldn't even raise my arms above my shoulders!! :hungover

My daily driver is a wethead RT. I can't speak to traditional trikes with 1 wheel forward and 2 back (BMW LT's, Goldwings, HD's) but I have ridden a Can-Am Spyder F3 on a number of occasions and have to admit with its power steering, true reverse gear and no-clutch paddle style semi-auto shifting, I did not find it fatiguing at all. In fact it could be a good solution for many who want to keep riding but can no longer manage the weight, balance or operation of a two-wheel mc. Of course YMMV.

Back