• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

power port on 1999 R1100S

spuglisi

Good morning,
My motorcycle has two power ports. They were installed when the bike was first sold as states the purchase contract. One is located at the main frame and pillion strut connection left side. The other is cable tied at the clip on bars. They are both wired into the bikes system, not directly to the battery as an aftermarket unit might be. Any idea what the amps rating on these ports may be?
Thank you,
Steve

You could do some easy checking by pulling fuses and seeing which fuse powers the ports. If they aren't fused in the fusebox hopefully there's an external fuse floating around which would give your answer.

power ports

Good morning and thank you both for comments. I'm trying to track down a schematic for my particular bike. But I also contacted BMW Fresno and spoke with Brandon. He could not confirm but believes, being that the power ports are integral to the system that they are adequate for heated gear. He sounded quite certain about that.
Steve

"...cable tied at the clip on bars" is NOT "integral" to the system. If you have the power port down behind your left calf, that's factory and "should" be OK - it is fused (15 A) if it was installed properly. But another tied up front? Recommend that you pull the bodywork and/or gas tank and carefully inspect that wiring, where it goes & if it's fused. Some 1100s have (had) a pair of outlets down below, wired directly in parallel with each other (still 15 A total) - maybe your "upper" one is a relocation of one of those.

The stock socket (x9321) on the left side is fused @ 10 amps according to my BMW OE schematics
The cable tied one is added and its anyone's guess as to fusing.

The first thing I would try is pulling fuse F3 (which feeds the stock socket) and see if it kills the added one.
They may have simply paralleled the two

Last edited:
My shop manual (page 61.8) indicates One socket only, fused with 15 amps in position 4.
I see now that this is for the RS, so the S may be different.
shopmanual61.8.png

power port

Good morning and thank you for the replies. The added port at the forks is stated as such on the purchase order. Right along with heated grips. "add second power port." Looks identical to the installed port on the left by the footpegs. Next time the shroud comes off, I'll track down the wires. I've used the port for battery maintenance charging with no issues.
Steve

Back