• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

G310R - Accessories and Maintenance

Strap Wrench

My strap wrench is rubber and so I just pull on it to stretch it before locking it by rotating the handle and it works. That being said, I’ll order a cap wrench for four bucks when Brother Paul discloses his source.

Barkbuster

I got my windshield from Twisted Throttle and my hand guards that I got from Cycle Gear installed and with temps in the 50s here in Illinois was able to take a 58 mile ride as hadn't ridden since Dec. 22nd since we ice and snow and very cold temps. The new windshield and hand guards worked great. I also had heated Oxford grips on it but didn't need them yesterday. I now have 3,618 miles on the G310R that I got September 14th. My wife is anxiously awaiting the arrival of her 310GS.

I couldn’t get that same set of Barkbuster to go around the master cylinder.

Hand guard

A couple weeks ago, I finally got all the necessary part in to replace the factory levers with Puig's levers. They have a much better feel, better shape, and make the bike feel a little easier to ride.

Also, thanks for RIDERS, I copied his idea and installed some hand guards.

Where did you get the hand guards? Do you recall model number?

Hand Guard

Did the mount for the right hand guard go inboard of the master cylinder, or could you get it between the master cylinder and the the switch housing?

Levers

Did the mount for the right hand guard go inboard of the master cylinder, or could you get it between the master cylinder and the the switch housing?

Where did you get the Puig levers? The internet said (so it must be true) that adjustable levers for the BMW G650 Serato fit the 310 Midget. The front brake lever did fit, a drop-in swap and much needed to get my fingers on the lever properly. The clutch lever was nowhere close. I milled it down to fit inside the perch housing, but the geometry is all wrong and so is the internet. I don’t NEED an adjustable clutch lever, but I like the folding feature. I only paid $25 on eBay and got a good front brake lever and solved a problem. Would like to get an adjustable folding clutch in order to keep the bike perfectly balanced.....

Yes, I know how to use google but if anyone has this readily available in their head, what is the expected tire life of the stock tires, and mileage service interval? I have a GS and am pretty happy with both aspects but imagine a smaller bike will have closer intervals (open to pleasant surprise).

Test Ride G310R--Four Stars

I finally test-rode the G310R yesterday at Engle's in KC. Been looking and thinking about it since the bike came out and since Paul and Voni's reports of their GS rides. After sitting on the GS in the showroom a few times, I decided the "swing over" height of the GS is too tall for me. I can get both feet on the ground solidly enough, but it is a struggle for me to mount and I do not feel comfortable doing so. Thus, I opted to ride the R model. Loved it! While it has minimal power/torque, it cruises quite nicely at highway speeds. I kept up with freeway traffic easily, but needed to downshift for any passing maneuver. I expect that it would be underpowered for two-up riding, but I ride solo.

When I found a large mostly empty parking lot, I reminded myself what riding a bicycle used to feel like--the 310R is very "flickable" (is that a word?) and seemed to know what I wanted to do before I did it.

The only nit I found is the turn signal switch (hence why the bike only got four stars instead of five). My current ride has the two-hands switch and I had to continually think about how to signal a lane change but that will become automatic after a short while. However, the location of the switch is too low for my left hand. I could not reach the switch with my left thumb unless I released the grip and slid my entire hand downward and inward. I likely would get used to that maneuver, but I do not think I would ever like it.

My riding style nowadays would fit the G310R pretty well. Mostly around town riding, some day trips (200 or so-mile rides), and one or two week-long tours a year. I am a minimalist packer so a small duffle on the back seat is my preferred style.

I think I have found my next new bike … someday.

Back