• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

G310R - Accessories and Maintenance

TrentAJ

We purchased a G310R a few days ago to serve as my wife's first motorcycle. I test rode several bikes and did a lot of research before choosing her starter bike, with the goal of moving her up in the next 6 months to a year. I ride a 2016 R1200GS Adventure, so I might be a little biased towards BMW's offerings.

My hope is to start a resource for me and fellow G310R/G310GS owners to share experiences and help as we learn these new to the market bikes.

So far, I have ordered SW Motech Crash Bars, MRA Windshield, and R&G Axle Sliders and Bar End Sliders. Unfortunately, all items are back ordered, so I won't have them until late November. I plan to post info and pictorials of the installation of all of the things I do on the bike.

Additionally, I have installed an accessory outlet using the wiring already put in place by BMW. We also have a Giant Loop Diablo Pro Tank Bag that should arrive this week.

- Trent

20171104_112127.jpg20171104_112133.jpg20171104_112139.jpg

Congrats with the new ride! :dance I'll check in from time to time on your progress as I'm interested in getting the GS version some time next year.
I haven't ridden one yet but it looks and feels like a quality bike worthy of the BMW nameplate.
Good luck with the hunt for farkles! :thumb

My hope is to start a resource for me and fellow G310R/G310GS owners to share experiences and help as we learn these new to the market bikes.
Welcome to the forum Trent!
As the newer bike come to market, we have been trying to keep track of some of these "new owner experiences". It looks like you have got a good start on the G310R so we are going to "stick" this thread. Hopefully as others bring their experiences to the forum we can build a collection of tips and DIY's that will help the Members.
As experiences build, perhaps we can develop and index like in the Wetheads section- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70623-Wetheads-Accessories-Mods-and-DIY-s.
Thanks for the effort.
The Moderator Team

Giant Loop Diablo Pro Tank Bag

The Giant Loop Diablo Pro Tank Bag fits nicely on our G310R. We needed a solution that could carry a few items that wouldn't affect the rider's view or position on the seat. The curve of the tank bag is perfect for the G310R.

The bag yields quick and easy access to your fuel tank, utilizing the zippers on either side of the bag. Simply unzip and push the bag over from the unzipped side. No need to mess with Fastex buckles that ultimately end up loosening your attachment straps, as experienced on other bags.

I got this bag for $210 on Revzilla...shipped to me in 2 days.

- Trent

20171115_185658.jpg
20171115_185715.jpg

I had the bags from a previously owned Honda CB300 and kept the bags and then ordered the mounts from the U.K. but now they are available here: https://www.motomachines.com/G310R_c_894.html The mounts are around 200 dollars and then the bags are 200 dollars. The mounts are easy to install and much easier than they were on the Honda.

R&G Bar End Sliders

The R&G Bar End Sliders were easy to install and have an easily replaceable end cap, in case they are ever used for their intended purpose.
20171126_091810.jpg
20171126_091816.jpg
20171126_091820.jpg

R&G Sidestand Footprint Enlarger

This is a much needed accessory for the G310R, given the very small footprint on the OEM sidestand. It installed in seconds with the three screws on the top plate, and fit the sidestand perfectly.
20171126_091804.jpg

MRA Windscreen

I received the MRA Windscreen today from Twisted Thottle. The installation was very easy, only taking a few minutes.

The instructions were decent, but I found it easier to build the bracket onto the Windscreen, then mounting the loosely assembled Windscreen to the stem bolts. The directions have you build from the stem bolts out to the Windscreen.

Stem bolts were torqued to 20Nm.

Here is a collage of views of the MRA Windscreen and collage of Before & After pictures.

MRA Windscreen - Before & After.jpg
MRA Windscreen.jpg

R&G Axle Sliders

I installed R&G Racing front and rear axle sliders today. Very simple installation and a nice match for my handlebar sliders.

Torque Specs Per the BMW Service Manual:

Front Axle - 50Nm
Fork Pinch Bolts - 19Nm

Photo_2017-12-08_11-06-22_AM.jpg
Photo_2017-12-08_11-05-25_AM.jpg

Directional Turn Signal Indicators

I added directional turn signal indicators. I took the head light shroud off, then tapped the turn signal wires.

Photo_2017-12-15_05-13-46_PM.jpg

I got my windshield from Twisted Throttle and my hand guards that I got from Cycle Gear installed and with temps in the 50s here in Illinois was able to take a 58 mile ride as hadn't ridden since Dec. 22nd since we ice and snow and very cold temps. The new windshield and hand guards worked great. I also had heated Oxford grips on it but didn't need them yesterday. I now have 3,618 miles on the G310R that I got September 14th. My wife is anxiously awaiting the arrival of her 310GS.

Attachments

• DSCN0481.jpg
    DSCN0481.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 428
  • DSCN0480.jpg
    DSCN0480.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 428
Trackside Handguards

Thanks for the post RIDERS. I just ordered a set of the hand guards you used for my wife's G310R. She needs some wind protection, and the $25 price is awesome!

Puig Levers and Trackside Hand Guards

A couple weeks ago, I finally got all the necessary part in to replace the factory levers with Puig's levers. They have a much better feel, better shape, and make the bike feel a little easier to ride.

Also, thanks for RIDERS, I copied his idea and installed some hand guards.

All items went on in just a few minutes, with minimal effort.

- Trent
20180127_143138.jpg
20180127_143143.jpg
20180127_143155.jpg

For reference if you change your own oil and filter, it takes a 64mm, 14 flute filter wrench to fit the filter.

Last edited:
Hand Guards

I got my windshield from Twisted Throttle and my hand guards that I got from Cycle Gear installed and with temps in the 50s here in Illinois was able to take a 58 mile ride as hadn't ridden since Dec. 22nd since we ice and snow and very cold temps. The new windshield and hand guards worked great. I also had heated Oxford grips on it but didn't need them yesterday. I now have 3,618 miles on the G310R that I got September 14th. My wife is anxiously awaiting the arrival of her 310GS.[/QUOTE

What model hand guard did you get from cycle gear?

Back