• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need Recommendation for Service - TEXAS

rftwrg

On my 2015 RT, I replaced the battery about 3 months ago, and have had my BMW Motorrad Battery Charger attached whenever the bike is parked. Recently, I pulled the bike out of its barn, started it, left it run for 10 minutes, then shut it off by pressing the ignition button. Came back 15 minutes later, and get one click from the starter. Not sure what drained the battery, but I suspect the headlights remained on when I shut down the bike. Got the bike back in the barn on the charger, and the bike started without problem after about 2 hours on the charger. I'm thinking there's an issue with the electrical system in general, and I'd like to get the issue addressed by a dedicated (i.e. not an everything but Harley shop) BMW dealer, and am looking for a recommendation for a good Texas Dealer. Reviews online are all over the place, and a lot of them are several years old. So, who has had some recent good experiences with service from a Texas dealer?

BTW, I'm 300+ miles from any of the known BMW Motorrad dealers..

TIA,

John
Odessa, TX

Do you have anyone local who can load test your battery?
I realize it's only 3 months old, but sometimes even new batteries go bad.

Can't say anything about the diagnostic abilities of the Austin dealer but they took in a traveler that needed new tires who rolled in mid-afternoon with no notice and fixed me up. Did the 72K service (fluids + valve check) the next day - Saturday - and washed the bike before they gave it back. (It's a GSA, who washes a GSA? Anyway, kudos for the effort)

Dealer in ABQ diagnosed a vagueness in steering (bad tires) for free and did the fork recall for me but I'd called ahead.

No reason for a battery to die in 15 minutes even if the headlights were on, which they shouldn't have been if you turned it off with the key (or "key").

I'm very happy with the BMW team in Austin (located at Woods Fun Center). They have taken very good care of my bikes for 9 years. Talk to Scott or Drew.
There is also Cuznbob's Hill country Motorcycles 512.424.9146

Yes I think you need to take it to the dealer. I had the same/similar problem with a '16 1200RS and it turned out to be a bad electronic module.
It was something that couldn't be diagnosed in the old shade tree way. If I pulled the battery cable a put a tester in between I could see a constant draw but it was inside the module not at a light, radio, alarm or the usual stuff you suspect.

Austin has a good rep as does Denton now that they are a BMW dealer. Fort Worth is losing their reputation (all our fav guys moved to Austin or OKC).

SS

Back