• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Florida Keys trip?

freeriders

Hey all,

My wife and I both ride GS's and this winter we wanted to rent and ride from Tampa or Ft. Meyers area down through the length of the Keys. Suggestions for rentals and/or places to stay and see? Beemer rentals are not as easy to find, but as a last resort as former Harley riders we'll rent Harleys as a fall back choice. My wife would love to find her beloved F700gs to rent.

Thanks from the Rockies,

Don & Mary

Hey all,

My wife and I both ride GS's and this winter we wanted to rent and ride from Tampa or Ft. Meyers area down through the length of the Keys. Suggestions for rentals and/or places to stay and see? Beemer rentals are not as easy to find, but as a last resort as former Harley riders we'll rent Harleys as a fall back choice. My wife would love to find her beloved F700gs to rent.

Thanks from the Rockies,

Don & Mary

Everybody enjoys different things, but I find riding in Florida equal to watching golf on TV :). With that said, I have only ridden to Key West (pretty much one way in, one way out), with lots of traffic. As a matter of fact, the whole state of Florida is a lot of traffic. Key West is beautiful, as is that whole area, and I am sure the Keys are too. Not too sure how good the riding would be though. Key West is "different", and unless you're in to bar hopping, or buying cheesy souvenirs it leaves something to be desired. Watch out for the nuts in Key West on scooters, none of them have a clue (about anything). If you have never been, then by all means go, but I think there are MANY places better for riding a motorcycle. Sorry for all the negativity, but I'm just giving you my opinion & telling you truth about what I experienced. :)

Hey all,

Thanks from the Rockies,

Don & Mary

Be sure to check w/the proper folks in Key West. Key West was hit hard by Hurricane Irma (at least, I think it was Irma).

My sister and her husband have a vacation home in the keys. They go down there to enjoy fishing. It was damaged from the hurricane and they have spent a lot of time there rebuilding the damage. She told me that even though the keys are open there are huge piles of trash and debris everywhere. There never were any beaches there and like Gail said if you aren't into bar hopping or fishing I wouldn't even bother. Go to Daytona!

The Keys are a mess. Most of the major resorts (Cheeca Lodge, Moorings, Chesapeake, The Islander ocean side, La Siesta) in Islamorada won't open until the summer of 2018 as they got destroyed. Hawks Cay on Duck Key is closed as well. Key Largo and Key West are open for business but everything in between is a crapshoot... Some mom and pop places are open but may have limited services. One place I know in Islamorada is open but the pool and docks are gone. Call the Islamorada or Marathon Chambers of commerce for the latest info.
Until last year, I lived in the Keys for 27 years and all my friends down there are in the need of tourism but it is rough going at the moment..

Gail is correct....

Aside from post-storm rebuild....KW is not that enjoyable (IMHO) for motorcycling.....have been there many times...only twice on moto....would never do it again......fun, strange environment, very carefree.....BUT.....not a motorcycle trip...............sorry.......:hungover

Key West

Wife and I were there at the end of October. Plenty of damage but mostly in the middle keys. They need the tourism to survive, True, the atmosphere is based on bar hopping and chintzy gift shop items but you can't spend all your time drinking and blowing on a conch shell! A couple of days will let you see the historic spots and museums as well as a good sampling of Cuban and sea food. Then get out of there. Lots more to see going up the Atlantic coast. Just remember that the whole state is not exciting on a motorcycle.

Back