Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Spark plug change gone wrong :(

I would try some of this sprayed between the outside of the extension and the walls of the cylinder opening.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...-10-oz-aerosol
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    Airheads #3480 | Iron Butt Assn. #8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

What about heat? I know when I can’t get a bolt off heat works most of the time. Just a thought. Steve
    2016 R1200 GSA (Red)

I had this happen already. probably not to the same extent as the OP. This is what I did:
    I placed an extension on the socket and attached to a 3/8" drive breaker bar. I heated up the head and socket area with a propane torch, then sprayed the socket with CRC freeze spray. I quickly turned the socket with the breaker bar and it released. I think that the cylinder head area expanded with the heat and the metal in the socket contracted with the freeze spray and it provided enough clearance to release the socket.

Good Luck!
    Bob

2005 K1200LT

I had this happen to me once. I have since turned down a socket a bit and use that for plug changes.

It sounds to me like the socket was being moved outward a bit as you were loosening the spark plug and found a (probably small) area where there is a clearance issue. In other words, either the socket, or the area it is going through, or both, isn't completely symmetrical, and there are some areas where you can run out of clearance if things are lined up right.

You got the socket in there, and were able to turn it a bit, so you know it is possible to get it in and out, at least with it aligned like you had it. Use some steel wool or something else to help create an extra tight fit between an extension bar and the socket, or just find an extension bar than happens to fit tightly. Start turning it clockwise, screwing the spark plug back in, while at the same time pulling outward to when you come to a place where things allow clearance, it will come out. Alternatively, screw it in a bit, and try pulling it out, screw a tiny bit more and try again, until it comes out. It will eventually come out as long as you haven't really reefed on it and galled things. Be careful to not screw the spark plug back in beyond the torque specs while screwing it back in.

If you didn't reef on it, it will come back out. Have no worries. It went in, and will come out. You have to have things lined up like they were when you slid the socket in, or in another position that allows it to come out, and it will. After you get it out, either turn down that socket, or another one. You could even chuck a bar in a drill or drill press and use sandpaper and take enough off of the outside diameter to work.

Good luck, and don't worry. I know it's probably freaked you out, but if you didn't go overboard really cranking on the socket, it will come out, fairly easily, at some point. Just take your time and when you feel your blood pressure rising too much, take a break and go back to it later.

Yes, there's a BMW special tool for this application.

Be suspicious of using standard tools when service manual calls for a special tool.

Always refer to service manual.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

While the suggestions for lubrication and temperature changes may help, the OP should be very cautious about—or avoid entirely—any attempt at screwing the socket and sparkplug back into the hole. There is no guarantee at this point that the sparkplug will not crossthread. Were this my bike, and given that the top of the socket is easily accessible, I’d still opt for tack-welding on a nut or bolt as an attachment point for a puller and extract the socket that way.

Good luck,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Any socket will work, if it's thin enough. Or one can be ground down to fit in there.
    I helped another guy with his bike, a 2009 and told him he needed a thin walled socket. He thought he had one, til it got stuck in there something fierce. It took a couple hours of wiggling it to get it out.
    He then ground three sockets down so that it wouldn't happen again.
    However, the last time I changed my plugs, I grabbed the wrong socket, one that wasn't ground down. I was able to get it unstuck fast, as I just turned it back in when I realized the error.

The bad thing about the "special tool" is that you cannot torque it. It comes in the tool kit with the bike, I believe, but it's one of those old fashioned long thin metal tube ones, with two holes and a cross rod for leverage. No way to attach a torque wrench to it.

It's been a week or so. I wonder if op just ended up getting a new bike. Sometimes that's the easier way.
    dc

To use a ratchet or a torque wrench with the BMW toolkit socket I drilled a hole in a socket head screw and assembled as follows. I did this for my oilhead but the socket works equally well on the F twins.
    dissembled.JPG
    assembled1.JPG

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    To use a ratchet or a torque wrench with the BMW toolkit socket I drilled a hole in a socket head screw and assembled as follows. I did this for my oilhead but the socket works equally well on the F twins.
    dissembled.JPG
    assembled1.JPG

Nice job!
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

dissembled.JPG
    assembled1.JPG
    THAT is pure genius.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    THAT is pure genius.
    Coming from you that is high praise indeed. Thank you.

I have enjoyed your articles immensely and always try to catch your act at the rallys.

Mike

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    i sure would like to know the ultimate outcome of this.....

~wyman~

2015 BMW S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

Spark plug change gone wrong 😞

dissembled.JPG
    assembled1.JPG
    I will have to do that before I switch my F700GS to other plugs. Ingenious fix.

Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    i sure would like to know the ultimate outcome of this.....

I would very much like to know if he was able to walk away from this (hopefully) with only a huge scare and a lesson learned or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing happened to me. It seemed pretty well stuck. Got pissed off, used a 4 foot long pipe on the ratchet handle and reversed. Surprisingly, the socket came out with no apparent damage. I then purchased the BMW spark plug wrench. Bike works fine, learned my lesson. Good luck!

Left Coast Rider
    To use a ratchet or a torque wrench with the BMW toolkit socket I drilled a hole in a socket head screw and assembled as follows.
    I like to learn something every day. Thanks for this!